Fw: ISS VOICE QSO REMINDER

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2008

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: John <yp671@...>
      To: frrl@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:55:01 PM
      Subject: ISS VOICE QSO REMINDER

      Richard Garriott is aboard and has already started making random voice
      QSO's from the ISS.  As a reminder do not transmit on the DOWNLINK. It
      has been reported that many stations are doing this. The DOWNLINK is
      where you LISTEN ONLY!  Transmitting on the downlink does 2 things: 1)
      QRM's anyone who is listening for their exchange and 2) You can
      transmit on the downlink until hell freezes over and never get a
      reply, no one is listening aboard the ISS to the downlink!

      Transmit on the UPLINK.  The UPLINK is 144.49 FM and the DOWNLINK is
      145.80 FM

      Most modern radios can be set up for "odd splits"

      Those frequencies are at the midpoint of a pass when the ISS is at TCA
      (Time of Closest Approach). You should correct for doppler shift
      according to the chart I have uploaded to the files section of the
      yahoo group in the space folder. Or e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

      There are set ups for both rigs that will do 1kHz steps (857D, 2000,
      746, etc) and rigs that only do 5kHZ steps (most 2 and dual band
      mobiles and HT's). You don;t need much of an antenna for the ISS, even
      the standard rubber duck might work.

      The ISS QSL's too so don't forget to claim your card. I'll post that
      info into the file folder also.

      Good Luck, Have Fun and REMEMBER.....LISTEN on the DOWNlink!!

      73,

      John - AG9D
      ARISS OPS