Re: [WestMichiganHams] any Windom experts out there?

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
      When ya gonna try it? Maybe I can find you on the air...

      ================ K8JHR =================

      Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
      > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
      > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
      > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
      > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

    • Jim KC8PCJ
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
          How about 8 PM on 14.235?

          I reset my tuners memory and it does not do as much tuning within each band. So it appears that even though the swr has changed it is flatter across each band.

          Tom: Hope some of this information has helped you.
          What kind of tuner are you running?

          I will do some more SWR reading and record them so you can compare.

          Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
          > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
          > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
          > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
          > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

          ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ===

        • T Behler
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
            Greg:

            Sorry for the delay in my response.

            Just catching up on e-mail here, since I spent most of the week-end doing
            the Pennsylvania QSO Party contest.

            Actually, you may be right:

            I was very surprised as to how well my Windom actually worked during the
            contest, especially given the absolutely horendous conditions on 40 meters
            yesterday.

            Made 250 contacts, and got all but 4 of the 67 Pennsylvania counties.

            Worked 40 and 80 CW and phone.

            A real fun contest to be sure, since I grew up in PA and got my first ham
            license there.

            Will continue to work with the antenna, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

            73 from Tom Behler: Kb8TYJ, Big Rapids

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
              I am thinking of re-visiting the length issue for each leg at some
              point, but it's so hard to get the antenna up and down, given my property
              situation, that I may have to put that off for a while.

              Will keep your thoughts in mind, though, for future reference.

              73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                Ok, Jim. ... Thanks!

                73 de KB8TYJ

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                  Mark:

                  See some of my earlier e-mails for the pleasant surprise I got as I used the
                  antenna for the PA QSO Party this week-end.

                  I know the antenna isn't quite optimal, but it sure did well, given the
                  conditions that existed, especially yesterday.

                  I would hate to have you come all the way over here from Muskegon just to do
                  some work with the analyzer, so, unless you find yourself in Big Rapids for
                  some reason, I probably wouldn't worry about it. However, I truly
                  appreciate the offer.

                  Sure wish they made an antenna analyzer that talked! (HI! HI!)

                  73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                    Thanks, Jim.

                    Well, I'm using a 4 - 1 balun, so at least that's right! (grin)

                    73 de KB8TYJ

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                      Jim:

                      I'm reading the mail with interest here.

                      I'm using the auto-tuner in the TS480, although I have an old MFJ 901B
                      versatuner that I can also use with my talking SWR meter if needed.

                      Will continue to play around as I get time.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                        Aw... shoot. I got busy on a project and did not see your reply.

                        (project is copying all the old user manuals into PDF format
                        for Ten-Tec as a favor to them... you cannot make too many
                        friends...

                        Sorry. =========== James - K8JHr =============