Re: [WestMichiganHams] any Windom experts out there?

  • Jim KC8PCJ
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
      Here are the deminsions and the plan that I used. Depending on how high the
      antenna is, they use a different balun. further down in the text they say
      when in doubt use a 4-1 balun.

      http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=15683
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
        Gee Jim -- I ran the numbers according to that formula, and
        came up with an 80-10 meter OCF "Windom" - which is not
        really a windom because I think that a "true' windom is a single
        wire, like a random wire, that is off center fed "Marconi style"...
        but anyway...

        I came up with a total length of 123 feet, with 79 on the long
        side and 44 feet on the short side (rounded off to whole
        numbers.)

        Using the formula for a 160 meter antenna, I came up with
        166 feet on the long side, and 166 on the short side, for
        a total length of 260 feet, with 166 on the long side, and
        94 feet on the short side.

        The article pictures one measuring 135 feet in length, and
        it is 90 feet on the long side, and 45 feet on the short side.

        NONE of these measurements seem to coincide with your
        antenna measurements as stated in the first post.

        Maybe you need to revisit the formula and double check the
        lengths to be sure both sides are correct.

        Not sure what happens when the lengths are not determed
        according to the formula, but are just in direct proportion to
        what the formala would call for... but I doubt it would work as
        well as cutting the lengths to what the formula calls for, and
        not being just in proper proportion.

        Happy trails. Hope this is helpful in some way.

        =============== Richards - K8JHR =============

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
          Well I have looked at so many numbers and different plans, now I am getting a little confused. You are right the Original "windom" was a single wire fed aprox 14% off center. The antenna I have built and found plans on the web is many time referred to as a "Carolina Windom". It is off center fed at 33% and uses a 9-1, 6-1, 4-1 balun (depending on what plans you look at) and a portion of the coax is used as a vertical radiator with a choke at 22' down from the balun. Maybe the correct term would be to call it a OFC Multi band dipole. I have found many plans for this antenna and there seems to be many variations. Baluns and lengths also seem to vary.

          I guess in the end antennas may be a science but than again when you can find the resonant freq of any object, It could be an antenna. ie the window blind that was in a article in QST.

          I am glad to see this discussion. It keeps the brain working. Today I am going to drop my antenna, do a little trimming and see what happens. Hopefully after all this I will have an even better antenna.

          Will let you know what happens.

          73s Jim

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
            When ya gonna try it? Maybe I can find you on the air...

            ================ K8JHR =================

            Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
            > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
            > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
            > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
            > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

          • Jim KC8PCJ
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                How about 8 PM on 14.235?

                I reset my tuners memory and it does not do as much tuning within each band. So it appears that even though the swr has changed it is flatter across each band.

                Tom: Hope some of this information has helped you.
                What kind of tuner are you running?

                I will do some more SWR reading and record them so you can compare.

                Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
                > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
                > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
                > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
                > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

                ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ===

              • T Behler
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                  Greg:

                  Sorry for the delay in my response.

                  Just catching up on e-mail here, since I spent most of the week-end doing
                  the Pennsylvania QSO Party contest.

                  Actually, you may be right:

                  I was very surprised as to how well my Windom actually worked during the
                  contest, especially given the absolutely horendous conditions on 40 meters
                  yesterday.

                  Made 250 contacts, and got all but 4 of the 67 Pennsylvania counties.

                  Worked 40 and 80 CW and phone.

                  A real fun contest to be sure, since I grew up in PA and got my first ham
                  license there.

                  Will continue to work with the antenna, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

                  73 from Tom Behler: Kb8TYJ, Big Rapids

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                    I am thinking of re-visiting the length issue for each leg at some
                    point, but it's so hard to get the antenna up and down, given my property
                    situation, that I may have to put that off for a while.

                    Will keep your thoughts in mind, though, for future reference.

                    73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                      Ok, Jim. ... Thanks!

                      73 de KB8TYJ

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                        Mark:

                        See some of my earlier e-mails for the pleasant surprise I got as I used the
                        antenna for the PA QSO Party this week-end.

                        I know the antenna isn't quite optimal, but it sure did well, given the
                        conditions that existed, especially yesterday.

                        I would hate to have you come all the way over here from Muskegon just to do
                        some work with the analyzer, so, unless you find yourself in Big Rapids for
                        some reason, I probably wouldn't worry about it. However, I truly
                        appreciate the offer.

                        Sure wish they made an antenna analyzer that talked! (HI! HI!)

                        73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                          Thanks, Jim.

                          Well, I'm using a 4 - 1 balun, so at least that's right! (grin)

                          73 de KB8TYJ

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                            Jim:

                            I'm reading the mail with interest here.

                            I'm using the auto-tuner in the TS480, although I have an old MFJ 901B
                            versatuner that I can also use with my talking SWR meter if needed.

                            Will continue to play around as I get time.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                              Aw... shoot. I got busy on a project and did not see your reply.

                              (project is copying all the old user manuals into PDF format
                              for Ten-Tec as a favor to them... you cannot make too many
                              friends...

                              Sorry. =========== James - K8JHr =============