Re: [WestMichiganHams] any Windom experts out there?

  • Tom Behler
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
      Mark:

      So, are you saying that the current arrangement I described in my previous
      e-mail is probably working as well as it will?

      Again, mine is 132 feet long--88 on the long end, and 44 on the short end.
      It is fed with RG8U coax with a 4-1 balun at the feed point.

      This is a traditional Windom design that I was given by another fellow ham.

      Will give the antenna a work-out today and tomorrow on the Pennsylvania QSO
      Party contest.

      73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
        Tom-
        I am no expert, first off. I have also built and used a few different
        wire antennas on HF. I do not think your SWR readings are surpising,
        nor do I feel they show that your antenna is not working optimally. As
        to 30M being un-tunable, it is often the "black sheep" when it comes
        to HF antennas, as it is not harmonically related to the other bands.
        Again- I am not surprised the SWR on 10Mc is higher than all the
        others. Why are you figuring it is not working well? Do you have
        another antenna to compare it to? Just curious. Performance is
        subjective without a comparison antenna of known performance, or field
        strength measurements.
        Another thing I've found is that MANY (read "most") Baluns you buy are
        of inferior quality.

        Not sure any of this is help, but hopefully is food for thought, any way.

        Look forward to hearing you on the air!!

        73-
        Greg Schippers, KC8HXO

        SNIPPED____________________________________________________
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
          I think your feed point is at the wrong spot. My ARRL Antenna Handbook
          suggests placing the feed point 14 per cent off center, so that a 130 foot
          windom, has a feed point 47 feet from one end. Sometimes the feed point
          is moved slightly to accommodate balanced line feeder, and this design,
          sometimes called the Carolina Windom, uses a portion of the feeder as
          a vertical radiator, eliminating the problem with the feed line
          radiating, as
          it is intended to do just that.

          Common dimensions for the Carolina Windom are 130 feet ling, with
          the feed point 50 feet from one end, and 83 feet from the other end.

          So... I am thinking that your feed point may be off - AND maybe that your
          overall length may be less than optimal as well. It may be closer to 30
          per cent from one end, rather than 33 or 35 percent...

          Just my take. I would reconsider the length and feed line situation.

          ============= Richards K8JHR - Gran Rapids, MI ===========
        • Jim KC8PCJ
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
            I think I stated the wrong dimensions on my antenna, the numbers don't add
            up. Here is another site.

            http://www.radioworks.com/ccwcover.html

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
              Hello Tom,

              Well, I am certainly no expert on the off center fed antennas but I just
              happened to run across the site I posted and thought I would share it with
              you.

              Nonetheless, we often put too much faith in SWR readings. Many times they
              have NOTHING to do with antenna efficiency. All SWR readings are really
              good for is to make sure that today's solid state radios won't be harmed by
              reflected energy. The topic of SWR, feedline loss and antenna efficiency is
              way to complex to master via e-mail.

              That being said, Greg's post is one to consider as well.

              Personally, I prefer to feed a multi-band antenna with balanced line so that
              no matter what the SWR readings are at efficiency there will be negligible
              loss therein. If you want to make an attempt to understand all this I
              strongly suggest reading 'Reflections' by Walt Maxwell W2DU.

              If you are only interested in getting a wire in the air to connect with the
              world my feelings are that a few of us should get together with an analyzer
              and come out to help you meet your goal.

              As Greg mentioned, 30 is an odd duck. If you really want to be hot on 30 it
              may be best to have a dedicated antenna for that band.

              You may also want to investigate building a fan dipole. So many ways to
              skin the same duck makes this craft most enjoyable, in my humble opinion.

              Cheers and best of 73

              > So, are you saying that the current arrangement I described in my previous
              > e-mail is probably working as well as it will?
              >
              > Again, mine is 132 feet long--88 on the long end, and 44 on the short end.
              > It is fed with RG8U coax with a 4-1 balun at the feed point.
              >
              > This is a traditional Windom design that I was given by another fellow
              > ham.
              >
              > Will give the antenna a work-out today and tomorrow on the Pennsylvania
              > QSO
              > Party contest.
              >
              > 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

            • Jim KC8PCJ
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                I hope to lower mine tomorrow and tweak it a bit.. I will let you know what
                lengths I wind up with. My antenna is about 35 feet above the ground and
                runs NW to SE.

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                  Here are the deminsions and the plan that I used. Depending on how high the
                  antenna is, they use a different balun. further down in the text they say
                  when in doubt use a 4-1 balun.

                  http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=15683
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                    Gee Jim -- I ran the numbers according to that formula, and
                    came up with an 80-10 meter OCF "Windom" - which is not
                    really a windom because I think that a "true' windom is a single
                    wire, like a random wire, that is off center fed "Marconi style"...
                    but anyway...

                    I came up with a total length of 123 feet, with 79 on the long
                    side and 44 feet on the short side (rounded off to whole
                    numbers.)

                    Using the formula for a 160 meter antenna, I came up with
                    166 feet on the long side, and 166 on the short side, for
                    a total length of 260 feet, with 166 on the long side, and
                    94 feet on the short side.

                    The article pictures one measuring 135 feet in length, and
                    it is 90 feet on the long side, and 45 feet on the short side.

                    NONE of these measurements seem to coincide with your
                    antenna measurements as stated in the first post.

                    Maybe you need to revisit the formula and double check the
                    lengths to be sure both sides are correct.

                    Not sure what happens when the lengths are not determed
                    according to the formula, but are just in direct proportion to
                    what the formala would call for... but I doubt it would work as
                    well as cutting the lengths to what the formula calls for, and
                    not being just in proper proportion.

                    Happy trails. Hope this is helpful in some way.

                    =============== Richards - K8JHR =============

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                      Well I have looked at so many numbers and different plans, now I am getting a little confused. You are right the Original "windom" was a single wire fed aprox 14% off center. The antenna I have built and found plans on the web is many time referred to as a "Carolina Windom". It is off center fed at 33% and uses a 9-1, 6-1, 4-1 balun (depending on what plans you look at) and a portion of the coax is used as a vertical radiator with a choke at 22' down from the balun. Maybe the correct term would be to call it a OFC Multi band dipole. I have found many plans for this antenna and there seems to be many variations. Baluns and lengths also seem to vary.

                      I guess in the end antennas may be a science but than again when you can find the resonant freq of any object, It could be an antenna. ie the window blind that was in a article in QST.

                      I am glad to see this discussion. It keeps the brain working. Today I am going to drop my antenna, do a little trimming and see what happens. Hopefully after all this I will have an even better antenna.

                      Will let you know what happens.

                      73s Jim

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                        When ya gonna try it? Maybe I can find you on the air...

                        ================ K8JHR =================

                        Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
                        > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
                        > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
                        > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
                        > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

                      • Jim KC8PCJ
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                            How about 8 PM on 14.235?

                            I reset my tuners memory and it does not do as much tuning within each band. So it appears that even though the swr has changed it is flatter across each band.

                            Tom: Hope some of this information has helped you.
                            What kind of tuner are you running?

                            I will do some more SWR reading and record them so you can compare.

                            Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
                            > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
                            > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
                            > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
                            > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

                            ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ===

                          • T Behler
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                              Greg:

                              Sorry for the delay in my response.

                              Just catching up on e-mail here, since I spent most of the week-end doing
                              the Pennsylvania QSO Party contest.

                              Actually, you may be right:

                              I was very surprised as to how well my Windom actually worked during the
                              contest, especially given the absolutely horendous conditions on 40 meters
                              yesterday.

                              Made 250 contacts, and got all but 4 of the 67 Pennsylvania counties.

                              Worked 40 and 80 CW and phone.

                              A real fun contest to be sure, since I grew up in PA and got my first ham
                              license there.

                              Will continue to work with the antenna, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

                              73 from Tom Behler: Kb8TYJ, Big Rapids

                              I am no expert, first off. I have also built and used a few different
                              wire antennas on HF. I do not think your SWR readings are surpising,
                              nor do I feel they show that your antenna is not working optimally. As
                              to 30M being un-tunable, it is often the "black sheep" when it comes
                              to HF antennas, as it is not harmonically related to the other bands.
                              Again- I am not surprised the SWR on 10Mc is higher than all the
                              others. Why are you figuring it is not working well? Do you have
                              another antenna to compare it to? Just curious. Performance is
                              subjective without a comparison antenna of known performance, or field
                              strength measurements.
                              Another thing I've found is that MANY (read "most") Baluns you buy are
                              of inferior quality.

                              Not sure any of this is help, but hopefully is food for thought, any way.

                              Look forward to hearing you on the air!!

                              73-
                              Greg Schippers, KC8HXO

                              --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "T Behler" <tbehler@...> wrote:

                              > Hi, all.
                              >
                              > This is Tom Behler: KB8TYJ.
                              >
                              > As some of you may know, I live in Big Rapids. I also am Mecosta
                              County's
                              > EC/RO
                              >
                              > Anyway, I have recently put up a traditional Windom antenna for HF,
                              and am
                              > not quite getting the results I had hoped.
                              >
                              > My Windom is a coax-fed 80-meter
                              > Windom. It is fed by RG8U coax, and has a 4-1 balun at the feed
                              point on
                              > my tower.

                              SNIPPED____________________________________________________
                            • T Behler
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                I am thinking of re-visiting the length issue for each leg at some
                                point, but it's so hard to get the antenna up and down, given my property
                                situation, that I may have to put that off for a while.

                                Will keep your thoughts in mind, though, for future reference.

                                73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                  Ok, Jim. ... Thanks!

                                  73 de KB8TYJ

                                  >I think I stated the wrong dimensions on my antenna, the numbers don't add
                                  > up. Here is another site.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.radioworks.com/ccwcover.html

                                • T Behler
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                    Mark:

                                    See some of my earlier e-mails for the pleasant surprise I got as I used the
                                    antenna for the PA QSO Party this week-end.

                                    I know the antenna isn't quite optimal, but it sure did well, given the
                                    conditions that existed, especially yesterday.

                                    I would hate to have you come all the way over here from Muskegon just to do
                                    some work with the analyzer, so, unless you find yourself in Big Rapids for
                                    some reason, I probably wouldn't worry about it. However, I truly
                                    appreciate the offer.

                                    Sure wish they made an antenna analyzer that talked! (HI! HI!)

                                    73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                                    > Well, I am certainly no expert on the off center fed antennas but I just
                                    > happened to run across the site I posted and thought I would share it with
                                    > you.
                                    >
                                    > Nonetheless, we often put too much faith in SWR readings. Many times they
                                    > have NOTHING to do with antenna efficiency. All SWR readings are really
                                    > good for is to make sure that today's solid state radios won't be harmed
                                    > by
                                    > reflected energy. The topic of SWR, feedline loss and antenna efficiency
                                    > is
                                    > way to complex to master via e-mail.
                                    >
                                    > That being said, Greg's post is one to consider as well.
                                    >
                                    > Personally, I prefer to feed a multi-band antenna with balanced line so
                                    > that
                                    > no matter what the SWR readings are at efficiency there will be negligible
                                    > loss therein. If you want to make an attempt to understand all this I
                                    > strongly suggest reading 'Reflections' by Walt Maxwell W2DU.
                                    >
                                    > If you are only interested in getting a wire in the air to connect with
                                    > the
                                    > world my feelings are that a few of us should get together with an
                                    > analyzer
                                    > and come out to help you meet your goal.
                                    >
                                    > As Greg mentioned, 30 is an odd duck. If you really want to be hot on 30
                                    > it
                                    > may be best to have a dedicated antenna for that band.
                                    >
                                    > You may also want to investigate building a fan dipole. So many ways to
                                    > skin the same duck makes this craft most enjoyable, in my humble opinion.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers and best of 73
                                    >
                                    > Mark K8MHZ

                                  • T Behler
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                      Thanks, Jim.

                                      Well, I'm using a 4 - 1 balun, so at least that's right! (grin)

                                      73 de KB8TYJ

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                        Jim:

                                        I'm reading the mail with interest here.

                                        I'm using the auto-tuner in the TS480, although I have an old MFJ 901B
                                        versatuner that I can also use with my talking SWR meter if needed.

                                        Will continue to play around as I get time.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                          Aw... shoot. I got busy on a project and did not see your reply.

                                          (project is copying all the old user manuals into PDF format
                                          for Ten-Tec as a favor to them... you cannot make too many
                                          friends...

                                          Sorry. =========== James - K8JHr =============