Re: [WestMichiganHams] any Windom experts out there?

  • Jim KC8PCJ
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
      I am running a 133 ft windom. 41' 6" / 96' 6" with a 4-1 balun. 23' down
      from the balun is a 1-1 choke. Right now I can get the SWR below 2 and on
      some bands 1 to 1 The only issue I have is that the best tuning is just
      below the bottom of the bands. This tells me it is a little long. I am using
      an MFJ 993 tuner which brings the match below 1.3 to 1 on all bands except
      160M. The next time I bring it to the ground I am going to shorten each side
      a little and hope to get it to tune to the center of the band. It seems that
      there are many different lengths depending on which web site you look at.

      For the last few years I have used a 66' version with very good results. I
      put the 133' version up this summer. It has a little better gain (3-5
      s-units) than the 66'. N9AUY Bob and I Have also put both a 66' and 133 "
      Windom on the LST 393 downtown. And have done the same on the Muskegon
      County EOC.

      Here are a couple of links Hopes this helps

      http://users.erols.com/k3mt/windom/windom.htm

      http://www.gd7jwr.com/page4.html

      http://www.g4nsj.co.uk/windom.shtml

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 10, 2008
        Forgot to say, I am not an expert by any means.
        But I love to build my own antennas.

        > I am running a 133 ft windom. 41' 6" / 96' 6" with a 4-1 balun. 23' down
        > from the balun is a 1-1 choke. Right now I can get the SWR below 2 and on
        > some bands 1 to 1 The only issue I have is that the best tuning is just
        > below the bottom of the bands. This tells me it is a little long. I am
        using
        > an MFJ 993 tuner which brings the match below 1.3 to 1 on all bands except
        > 160M. The next time I bring it to the ground I am going to shorten each
        side
        > a little and hope to get it to tune to the center of the band. It seems
        that
        > there are many different lengths depending on which web site you look at.
        >
        > For the last few years I have used a 66' version with very good results. I
        > put the 133' version up this summer. It has a little better gain (3-5
        > s-units) than the 66'. N9AUY Bob and I Have also put both a 66' and 133 "
        > Windom on the LST 393 downtown. And have done the same on the Muskegon
        > County EOC.
        >
        > Here are a couple of links Hopes this helps
        >

        > http://users.erols.com/k3mt/windom/windom.htm
        >
        > http://www.gd7jwr.com/page4.html
        >
        > http://www.g4nsj.co.uk/windom.shtml

      • T Behler
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
          Jim:

          I think I might have met you when I did the presentation on amateur radio
          for the blind at the MARC monthly meeting about a year ago.

          Anyway, what you're telling me here is that all of this is not an exact
          science, and that it all depends on exactly where you feed the Windom, and
          what the lenghts of the legs are on either side of the feed point.

          I'll keep your e-mail here for future reference.

          I guess my main concern is that if I get someone over here to help tweak
          things, I certainly don't want to make them worse, and want to be sure I
          make them better with whatever I do.

          Do you know of any e-mail users groups devoted to Windoms, or anyone else I
          might contact for input on this problem?

          Thanks very much, and 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ, Big Rapids

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
            Hey, Jim.

            Neither am I, which might be why I'm having the issues I'm having. (grin)

            73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
              Hi Tom,

              Here is a link with some info about the antenna you are trying to build:

              http://users.erols.com/k3mt/windom/windom.htm

              In summary, the antenna is 41 and a half feet on one side and 96 and a half
              feet on the other made from 12AWG wire, fed with 50 ohm coax and matched
              with a 9:1 balun. It covers six bands but 30 is not listed.

              Good luck!

> [...]
              > put up and taken down twice already, under rather difficult conditions,
              > and
              > I really am hesitant to have all of that done again by sighted help,
              > unless
              > I'm absolutely sure that any fix will truly correct the problems I am
              > having.
              >
              > The antenna obviously is usable on most bands, with the auto-tuner in my
              > Kenwood TS480, but I am sure the antenna is not performing optimally.
              >
              > Can someone tell me if I really need to modify this antenna again to make
              > it
              > work better, and what that modification should be?
              >
              > Also, is there anything I can do or check from the ground before going to
              > all this trouble?
              >
              > Thanks for reading this e-mail.
              >
              > I look forward to any responses someone can provide.
              >
              > 73 from Tom Behler: Kb8TYJ, Big Rapids, MI

            • Tom Behler
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                Mark:

                So, are you saying that the current arrangement I described in my previous
                e-mail is probably working as well as it will?

                Again, mine is 132 feet long--88 on the long end, and 44 on the short end.
                It is fed with RG8U coax with a 4-1 balun at the feed point.

                This is a traditional Windom design that I was given by another fellow ham.

                Will give the antenna a work-out today and tomorrow on the Pennsylvania QSO
                Party contest.

                73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                > Here is a link with some info about the antenna you are trying to build:
                >
                > http://users.erols.com/k3mt/windom/windom.htm
                >
                > In summary, the antenna is 41 and a half feet on one side and 96 and a
                > half
                > feet on the other made from 12AWG wire, fed with 50 ohm coax and matched
                > with a 9:1 balun. It covers six bands but 30 is not listed.
                >
                > Good luck!
                >
                > 73
                >
                > Mark K8MHZ

              • kc8hxo
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                  Tom-
                  I am no expert, first off. I have also built and used a few different
                  wire antennas on HF. I do not think your SWR readings are surpising,
                  nor do I feel they show that your antenna is not working optimally. As
                  to 30M being un-tunable, it is often the "black sheep" when it comes
                  to HF antennas, as it is not harmonically related to the other bands.
                  Again- I am not surprised the SWR on 10Mc is higher than all the
                  others. Why are you figuring it is not working well? Do you have
                  another antenna to compare it to? Just curious. Performance is
                  subjective without a comparison antenna of known performance, or field
                  strength measurements.
                  Another thing I've found is that MANY (read "most") Baluns you buy are
                  of inferior quality.

                  Not sure any of this is help, but hopefully is food for thought, any way.

                  Look forward to hearing you on the air!!

                  73-
                  Greg Schippers, KC8HXO

                  SNIPPED____________________________________________________
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                    I think your feed point is at the wrong spot. My ARRL Antenna Handbook
                    suggests placing the feed point 14 per cent off center, so that a 130 foot
                    windom, has a feed point 47 feet from one end. Sometimes the feed point
                    is moved slightly to accommodate balanced line feeder, and this design,
                    sometimes called the Carolina Windom, uses a portion of the feeder as
                    a vertical radiator, eliminating the problem with the feed line
                    radiating, as
                    it is intended to do just that.

                    Common dimensions for the Carolina Windom are 130 feet ling, with
                    the feed point 50 feet from one end, and 83 feet from the other end.

                    So... I am thinking that your feed point may be off - AND maybe that your
                    overall length may be less than optimal as well. It may be closer to 30
                    per cent from one end, rather than 33 or 35 percent...

                    Just my take. I would reconsider the length and feed line situation.

                    ============= Richards K8JHR - Gran Rapids, MI ===========
                  • Jim KC8PCJ
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                      I think I stated the wrong dimensions on my antenna, the numbers don't add
                      up. Here is another site.

                      http://www.radioworks.com/ccwcover.html

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                        Hello Tom,

                        Well, I am certainly no expert on the off center fed antennas but I just
                        happened to run across the site I posted and thought I would share it with
                        you.

                        Nonetheless, we often put too much faith in SWR readings. Many times they
                        have NOTHING to do with antenna efficiency. All SWR readings are really
                        good for is to make sure that today's solid state radios won't be harmed by
                        reflected energy. The topic of SWR, feedline loss and antenna efficiency is
                        way to complex to master via e-mail.

                        That being said, Greg's post is one to consider as well.

                        Personally, I prefer to feed a multi-band antenna with balanced line so that
                        no matter what the SWR readings are at efficiency there will be negligible
                        loss therein. If you want to make an attempt to understand all this I
                        strongly suggest reading 'Reflections' by Walt Maxwell W2DU.

                        If you are only interested in getting a wire in the air to connect with the
                        world my feelings are that a few of us should get together with an analyzer
                        and come out to help you meet your goal.

                        As Greg mentioned, 30 is an odd duck. If you really want to be hot on 30 it
                        may be best to have a dedicated antenna for that band.

                        You may also want to investigate building a fan dipole. So many ways to
                        skin the same duck makes this craft most enjoyable, in my humble opinion.

                        Cheers and best of 73

                        > So, are you saying that the current arrangement I described in my previous
                        > e-mail is probably working as well as it will?
                        >
                        > Again, mine is 132 feet long--88 on the long end, and 44 on the short end.
                        > It is fed with RG8U coax with a 4-1 balun at the feed point.
                        >
                        > This is a traditional Windom design that I was given by another fellow
                        > ham.
                        >
                        > Will give the antenna a work-out today and tomorrow on the Pennsylvania
                        > QSO
                        > Party contest.
                        >
                        > 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                      • Jim KC8PCJ
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                          I hope to lower mine tomorrow and tweak it a bit.. I will let you know what
                          lengths I wind up with. My antenna is about 35 feet above the ground and
                          runs NW to SE.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 11, 2008
                            Here are the deminsions and the plan that I used. Depending on how high the
                            antenna is, they use a different balun. further down in the text they say
                            when in doubt use a 4-1 balun.

                            http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=15683
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                              Gee Jim -- I ran the numbers according to that formula, and
                              came up with an 80-10 meter OCF "Windom" - which is not
                              really a windom because I think that a "true' windom is a single
                              wire, like a random wire, that is off center fed "Marconi style"...
                              but anyway...

                              I came up with a total length of 123 feet, with 79 on the long
                              side and 44 feet on the short side (rounded off to whole
                              numbers.)

                              Using the formula for a 160 meter antenna, I came up with
                              166 feet on the long side, and 166 on the short side, for
                              a total length of 260 feet, with 166 on the long side, and
                              94 feet on the short side.

                              The article pictures one measuring 135 feet in length, and
                              it is 90 feet on the long side, and 45 feet on the short side.

                              NONE of these measurements seem to coincide with your
                              antenna measurements as stated in the first post.

                              Maybe you need to revisit the formula and double check the
                              lengths to be sure both sides are correct.

                              Not sure what happens when the lengths are not determed
                              according to the formula, but are just in direct proportion to
                              what the formala would call for... but I doubt it would work as
                              well as cutting the lengths to what the formula calls for, and
                              not being just in proper proportion.

                              Happy trails. Hope this is helpful in some way.

                              =============== Richards - K8JHR =============

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                Well I have looked at so many numbers and different plans, now I am getting a little confused. You are right the Original "windom" was a single wire fed aprox 14% off center. The antenna I have built and found plans on the web is many time referred to as a "Carolina Windom". It is off center fed at 33% and uses a 9-1, 6-1, 4-1 balun (depending on what plans you look at) and a portion of the coax is used as a vertical radiator with a choke at 22' down from the balun. Maybe the correct term would be to call it a OFC Multi band dipole. I have found many plans for this antenna and there seems to be many variations. Baluns and lengths also seem to vary.

                                I guess in the end antennas may be a science but than again when you can find the resonant freq of any object, It could be an antenna. ie the window blind that was in a article in QST.

                                I am glad to see this discussion. It keeps the brain working. Today I am going to drop my antenna, do a little trimming and see what happens. Hopefully after all this I will have an even better antenna.

                                Will let you know what happens.

                                73s Jim

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                  When ya gonna try it? Maybe I can find you on the air...

                                  ================ K8JHR =================

                                  Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
                                  > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
                                  > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
                                  > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
                                  > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

                                • Jim KC8PCJ
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                      How about 8 PM on 14.235?

                                      I reset my tuners memory and it does not do as much tuning within each band. So it appears that even though the swr has changed it is flatter across each band.

                                      Tom: Hope some of this information has helped you.
                                      What kind of tuner are you running?

                                      I will do some more SWR reading and record them so you can compare.

                                      Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
                                      > Well I made some changes. Went to 80' on the long side and 45 on the
                                      > short. 40M got much better 3.9 to 1.5 however 20 went the other way,
                                      > from 1.6 to 3.6. Tuner still cleans things up. Wish I had many more
                                      > hours to play but Will give it a try on the air and see what happens.

                                      ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ===

                                    • T Behler
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                        Greg:

                                        Sorry for the delay in my response.

                                        Just catching up on e-mail here, since I spent most of the week-end doing
                                        the Pennsylvania QSO Party contest.

                                        Actually, you may be right:

                                        I was very surprised as to how well my Windom actually worked during the
                                        contest, especially given the absolutely horendous conditions on 40 meters
                                        yesterday.

                                        Made 250 contacts, and got all but 4 of the 67 Pennsylvania counties.

                                        Worked 40 and 80 CW and phone.

                                        A real fun contest to be sure, since I grew up in PA and got my first ham
                                        license there.

                                        Will continue to work with the antenna, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

                                        73 from Tom Behler: Kb8TYJ, Big Rapids

                                        I am no expert, first off. I have also built and used a few different
                                        wire antennas on HF. I do not think your SWR readings are surpising,
                                        nor do I feel they show that your antenna is not working optimally. As
                                        to 30M being un-tunable, it is often the "black sheep" when it comes
                                        to HF antennas, as it is not harmonically related to the other bands.
                                        Again- I am not surprised the SWR on 10Mc is higher than all the
                                        others. Why are you figuring it is not working well? Do you have
                                        another antenna to compare it to? Just curious. Performance is
                                        subjective without a comparison antenna of known performance, or field
                                        strength measurements.
                                        Another thing I've found is that MANY (read "most") Baluns you buy are
                                        of inferior quality.

                                        Not sure any of this is help, but hopefully is food for thought, any way.

                                        Look forward to hearing you on the air!!

                                        73-
                                        Greg Schippers, KC8HXO

                                        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "T Behler" <tbehler@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi, all.
                                        >
                                        > This is Tom Behler: KB8TYJ.
                                        >
                                        > As some of you may know, I live in Big Rapids. I also am Mecosta
                                        County's
                                        > EC/RO
                                        >
                                        > Anyway, I have recently put up a traditional Windom antenna for HF,
                                        and am
                                        > not quite getting the results I had hoped.
                                        >
                                        > My Windom is a coax-fed 80-meter
                                        > Windom. It is fed by RG8U coax, and has a 4-1 balun at the feed
                                        point on
                                        > my tower.

                                        SNIPPED____________________________________________________
                                      • T Behler
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                          I am thinking of re-visiting the length issue for each leg at some
                                          point, but it's so hard to get the antenna up and down, given my property
                                          situation, that I may have to put that off for a while.

                                          Will keep your thoughts in mind, though, for future reference.

                                          73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                            Ok, Jim. ... Thanks!

                                            73 de KB8TYJ

                                            >I think I stated the wrong dimensions on my antenna, the numbers don't add
                                            > up. Here is another site.
                                            >
                                            > http://www.radioworks.com/ccwcover.html

                                          • T Behler
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                              Mark:

                                              See some of my earlier e-mails for the pleasant surprise I got as I used the
                                              antenna for the PA QSO Party this week-end.

                                              I know the antenna isn't quite optimal, but it sure did well, given the
                                              conditions that existed, especially yesterday.

                                              I would hate to have you come all the way over here from Muskegon just to do
                                              some work with the analyzer, so, unless you find yourself in Big Rapids for
                                              some reason, I probably wouldn't worry about it. However, I truly
                                              appreciate the offer.

                                              Sure wish they made an antenna analyzer that talked! (HI! HI!)

                                              73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

                                              > Well, I am certainly no expert on the off center fed antennas but I just
                                              > happened to run across the site I posted and thought I would share it with
                                              > you.
                                              >
                                              > Nonetheless, we often put too much faith in SWR readings. Many times they
                                              > have NOTHING to do with antenna efficiency. All SWR readings are really
                                              > good for is to make sure that today's solid state radios won't be harmed
                                              > by
                                              > reflected energy. The topic of SWR, feedline loss and antenna efficiency
                                              > is
                                              > way to complex to master via e-mail.
                                              >
                                              > That being said, Greg's post is one to consider as well.
                                              >
                                              > Personally, I prefer to feed a multi-band antenna with balanced line so
                                              > that
                                              > no matter what the SWR readings are at efficiency there will be negligible
                                              > loss therein. If you want to make an attempt to understand all this I
                                              > strongly suggest reading 'Reflections' by Walt Maxwell W2DU.
                                              >
                                              > If you are only interested in getting a wire in the air to connect with
                                              > the
                                              > world my feelings are that a few of us should get together with an
                                              > analyzer
                                              > and come out to help you meet your goal.
                                              >
                                              > As Greg mentioned, 30 is an odd duck. If you really want to be hot on 30
                                              > it
                                              > may be best to have a dedicated antenna for that band.
                                              >
                                              > You may also want to investigate building a fan dipole. So many ways to
                                              > skin the same duck makes this craft most enjoyable, in my humble opinion.
                                              >
                                              > Cheers and best of 73
                                              >
                                              > Mark K8MHZ

                                            • T Behler
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                                Thanks, Jim.

                                                Well, I'm using a 4 - 1 balun, so at least that's right! (grin)

                                                73 de KB8TYJ

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                                  Jim:

                                                  I'm reading the mail with interest here.

                                                  I'm using the auto-tuner in the TS480, although I have an old MFJ 901B
                                                  versatuner that I can also use with my talking SWR meter if needed.

                                                  Will continue to play around as I get time.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 12, 2008
                                                    Aw... shoot. I got busy on a project and did not see your reply.

                                                    (project is copying all the old user manuals into PDF format
                                                    for Ten-Tec as a favor to them... you cannot make too many
                                                    friends...

                                                    Sorry. =========== James - K8JHr =============