Re: Girls on the Run

  • kc8hxo
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 15, 2006
      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Young" <ayoung@...>
      wrote:

      > The Center for Women in Transition will be hosting the Girls on the
      Run 5K race at 8:00 (for volunteers) am on May 20th in Grand Haven.
      More details will follow. Please let me know if you plan on volunteering.

      <SNIP>

      Andrew-
      I will be there.

      Greg, KC8HXO
    • Andrew Young
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 25, 2006
        I have 5 Amateur Radio volunteers so far- Is everyone else going to Dayton?

        --------
        The Center for Women in Transition will be hosting the Girls on the Run 5K race at 8:00 (for volunteers) am on May 20th in Grand Haven.  More details will follow.  Please let me know if you plan on volunteering.

        For those who participated last year, you should remember the magnitude of this event.  There were nearly 1,000 runners including the students and coaches.  It was a pretty exciting run with a lot of community support.
        -------

        Volunteers So Far:

        Mark D
        John F
        Greg S
        John W
        Craig C

        Andrew Young
        N8ARY
      • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 25, 2006
          by using my rotating yellow light i will be able to cover 2 positions.

          John WB9JSR

          Andrew Young <ayoung@...> wrote:
          I have 5 Amateur Radio volunteers so far- Is everyone else going to Dayton?

        • K8MHZ
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 25, 2006
            Thanks John, I needed that!!  ;))

            Glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read it!

            73 K8MHZ

            Andrew Young <ayoung@...> wrote:
            I have 5 Amateur Radio volunteers so far- Is everyone else going to Dayton?

            Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
          • jason mackay
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 26, 2006
              Andrew,  You can put me on the list.  Thanks,  Jason MacKay  kc8ovs

              Craft hobbyHobby and craft supplyHam radio

            • Craig Christilaw
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 26, 2006
                Wait a minute... Girls on the Run is the same weekend as Dayton?  You may have to take me off the list, as I am hoping to go to Dayton this year (if I can get the time off work).  Sorry Andrew, but I should have checked the dates...
                Craig  K8CRC

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 26, 2006
                  Craig,  It will probably be cheaper to do the girls on the run race, you won't have all those nice deals to drool over.  Hope you get the time off either way.  Jason KC8OVS

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 26, 2006
                    Do the folks at Dayton know that Girls on the Run is the same weekend?  I am sure if they did they would QSY to another weekend ;)

                    mhz

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 26, 2006
                        John,

                        You should have picked up a few of the red LED ones you can set on the ground last Saturday.  They were $10 each.

                        And I think we are actually moving from calling them rotating lights to "portable visible-spectrum electromagnetic wave intermittent transmitters."  This is more in line with Amateur Radio terms.

                        Thanks for the laugh.

                        Andrew
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 26, 2006
                          I will be attending a meeting for the Girls On the Run event on May 16th, at which I will be picking up tee shirts for the event volunteers.  If you are planning on attending and haven't responded yet, please let me know.  I will also need everyone's tee shirt size.

                          For those who don't know, this is a 5k run with about 1,000 participants.  There will also be a lot of parents along the route and they will look to us during any emergencies.  I got a lot of comments from parents and school officials last year about how good it was to have us along the route for security and safety of the runners.  The run is on May 20th at 9:00 am.  Volunteers should be at the GHPS lot at 8:00.

                          Everyone did a great job last year and I hope to see you all back as well as others who didn't come last time.

                          So far I have:

                          Craig C. (tentative)
                          Mark D.
                          Greg S.
                          John F.
                          Jason M.
                          Don M.
                          John W. (for 2 positions?)

                          We'll definitely need several more.  All you'll need is an HT with a good battery charge because the run is pretty close to the repeater.

                          Katie N. from the Center for Women in Transition wanted me to thank everyone in advance for their help.

                          Thanks,

                          Andrew Young
                          N8ARY
                        • Don Meyer - KB8ODB
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 26, 2006
                            Hello Everyone ... We helped with Girls on the Run event last year
                            and I hope we can give a good showing this year again even thought
                            it is on the same weekend as Dayton ... so if you can please come
                            out and help us out for this run .... reply here on West Michigan
                            Hams or send Andrew or myself a email .... 73 Don Meyer - KB8ODB

                          • jfischer@azulstar.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 26, 2006

                            • jfischer@azulstar.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 26, 2006
                                >Don tomarrow night is the club meeting if possiable we would like to lay
                                out plans for the events for the summer {ie.field day ,runs parades ect }
                                you know more about the runs than i do hope you can make it .73 kc8uny

                                > Hello Everyone ... We helped with Girls on the Run event last year
                                > and I hope we can give a good showing this year again even thought
                                > it is on the same weekend as Dayton ... so if you can please come
                                > out and help us out for this run .... reply here on West Michigan
                                > Hams or send Andrew or myself a email .... 73 Don Meyer - KB8ODB
                                >

                                > --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Young"
                                > >;ayoung@...

                              • Alan NV8A
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 26, 2006
                                  My wife, Jeanette KD8CHS (newly promoted to General), and I will be
                                  available for this event, each with an HT.

                                  We need one each Large and XL shirts.

                                  Alan NV8A

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 27, 2006
                                    Hi Andrew, I will take the biggest they have 3 or 4xl. I don't need a second skin. Thanks Jason KC8OVS

                                  • Andrew Young
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 27, 2006
                                      We can always paint yours on if you want.  My wife is good with acrylics.

                                      ARY

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 20, 2006
                                        Thanks to all who volunteered for Girls on the Run today.

                                        It went well. Nice job.

                                        Andrew
                                      • jfischer@azulstar.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 20, 2006