Fwd: Warning - Warning - Warning

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2008
      FYI

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Warning - Warning - Warning
      Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:26:19 -0400 (EDT)
      From: ARRL GL Division <memberlist@...>

      (Reply only to k8je@...)

      Do not respond to the following message if you receive it. It is not an
      ARRL-related message. It appears to be an attempt to obtain critical
      information that can be used in emptying your wallets.

      ===========================
      The fraudulent message:

      "Attention E-Mail Account Holder,

      "We are currently performing maintenance for our Digital mail Account
      owners due to the rate of internet passwords and other informations
      problems. And we discovered that our mail account owners have been
      receiving phishing mails form imposters asking for their personal
      information.So we intend upgrading our Digital mail Security Server for
      better online services.

      "In order to ensure you do not experience service interruption, Please
      you must reply to this email immediately and enter your User Id
      here:(****) Email: (*****) and password(S) here: (****) (****), Contact
      Phone Number(****) for security reasons and Check out your new features
      and enhancements with your new and improved mail account. To enable us
      upgrade your Account for better online services please reply to this mail.

      "NB: We request your username(s) and password(s) for Identification
      purpose only.

      "Signed,
      "Account Support Unit"

      ======================

      Thanks to members of the Division who called this bogus message to my
      attention.

      GL, 73,

      Jim Weaver, K8JE

      Jim Weaver, K8JE, Director
      ARRL Great Lakes Division
      5065 Bethany Rd.
      Mason, OH 45040
      E-mail: k8je@...; Tel.: 513-459-0142
      ARRL - The Reason Amateur Radio Is!
      Members - The Reason ARRL Is!
    • Robert Bailey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2008
        I would give them a bogus call for a user name,the bogus call @ whatever site for an email addy,the bogus call with 321 added for a password, then the number for the Allegan County Sheriffs Dispatch for a contact number.Of course I do things like that.To me,it's fun to give bogus info to no-lives like that.73 all,and have a nice day.. n8xlx

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2008
          Never reply to such messages. They can glean valuable information about
          your web address from your browser settings if you do, and they will also
          know they have valid email box. They they sell the list of known valids to
          other spammers. Do not even send bogus info as you suggest.