Morley receive site grounds maintenance plus campout.

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2008
      Morley receive site grounds maintenance plus campout.

      It's time once again for grounds maintenance at the 250ft commercial
      tower NE of Morley owned by T&W Electronics which, among other radio
      services, hosts the Lowell Amateur Radio Club 145.27- (94.8Hz) Morley
      remote receiver 144.67 MHz.
      Part of our arrangement with T&W is upkeep of the grounds.
      Being the site is a mix of field and woods located in a rural area near
      Amish families and an Elk-Deer-Buffalo farm, some of us combine this
      with a camping trip.
      The main cleanup day will be this Saturday, July 5. Figure start around
      10AM. Rolls and coffee will be provided in the morning, Burgers and
      beverages for lunch. The "better half" and kids are welcome.
      There are no toilet facilities here, but I will have the rest room in
      my motorhome available. It's not a problem, really!
      I plan to arrive Thursday the 3rd and not leave "until I'm ready to".
      Anyone else interested in a cheap non-crowded campsite for the
      Independence Day weekend is welcome. Electricity is available.
      Questions? My cell phone is (616)318-4551

      On the cleanup agenda this time. Mowing. Cut out stumps. Clearing trees
      and brush growing under the east guy wires. If time and energy permits,
      the same for the north guy wires.
      Extra chain saws and operators a big plus. Anyone with access to an
      industrial grade chipper would be a big plus as well.

      HOW TO GET THERE?
      Use your preferred mapping program and input: 3800 155th Ave, Morley, MI 49336

      Directions from Grand Rapids via US-131 Expressway are simple. If your
      arriving from Lowell, the "from Lowell" directions use paved county
      roads and really is the shortest, quickest way. But I know some people
      will go 100 miles out of the way to use expressway. If your heading up,
      you decide for yourself.

      FROM GRAND RAPIDS to Morley receive site.

      Head north on US-131 expressway to Morley exit 125, Jefferson Rd.

      Turn right / east for 1 1/2 miles to Northland Dr. in the center of Morley.
      **Just before passing thru Morley, give a shout on the radio to see if
      we need Ice or anything from a gas station / convenience store.**

      Jog left / north then right / east. Continue on Jefferson Rd for
      another 1 3/4 miles.

      Turn left / north on 155th Ave for 2 1/2 miles.

      Turn right in the drive and park. You will have spotted the tower well
      before you arrived.

      FROM LOWELL to Morley receive site, start at the intersection of Main
      St. / Hwy M-21 and Hudson. There are Shell and BP fuel stations on
      opposite corners.

      Head north on Hudson St, soon changes to Lincoln Lake Ave, for 20
      miles, crossing Hwy M-44 and M-57 along the way.

      Turn left / west on 18 Mile Rd., toward Cedar Springs, for 1 mile.

      Turn right / north on Meddler Ave for 4 miles. Meddler ends at 22 Mile Rd.

      Turn left / west on 22 Mile Rd for 1/2 mile. 22 Mile Rd borders Kent
      and Montcalm Counties.

      Turn right / north on Amble Rd, entering Montcalm County, for 2 miles.

      Turn left / west on Briggs Rd for 1 mile.

      Turn right / north on Bailey Rd for 4 1/2 miles, passing through the
      village of Coral.
      **Just before passing thru Coral, give a shout on the radio to see if
      we need Ice or anything from the gas station / convenience store.**

      Turn right / east on Church Rd for 1 mile.

      Turn left / north on Amble Rd for 7 1/2 miles. **If Amble Rd were a
      thru street, I would not have routed you thru Coral!** You will cross
      Hwy M-46 along the way. Past M-46, you will enter Mecosta County where
      Amble Rd becomes 150th Ave.

      Turn left / west on Jefferson Rd for 1/2 mile.

      Turn right / north on 155th Ave for 2 1/2 miles.

      Turn right in the drive and park. You will have spotted the tower well
      before you arrived.

      73 Jack NY8D

      Home: (616)897-6885
      Cell: (616)318-4551 (Nextel 130*719*68)