Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: Wind Turbine in a Box

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 19, 2008
      Hi Linda,

      Actually, you need to be thanked for posting the information you got about wind turbines.  Please realize that the scrutinization of an article is to be expected and that is a *plus*!  Also realize that we are scritinzing the article, not the poster.  The feedback you get from the peanut gallery here is going to be (for the most part) well researched.  For or against a claim, the research, experience and opinions of the hundred or so hams on this reflector is always worth the read and on occasion can forwarn us of false claims, and as such may save us some money.

      I, for one, have always wondered how much electricity could be garnered from a home brew windmill.  Would they be able to be 'piggy backed' to produce current levels in excess of any indivual generator (or alternator as the case may be).

      Again, thanks and the best of 73

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 19, 2008
        Don't feel bad. Turns out to be an excellent discussion. It just
        proves that one has to do the math, and really figure out what is
        wheat and what is chaff before embarking on any project.

        Good lessons. Obviously some tools are better than others, and
        the analysis of knowing how to discern which is what is worthwhile.

        Thanks. // Richards - K8JHR //

        Linda wrote:
        > Geez...sorry I brought it up! Won't happen again.
        >
        > ------------------------------------

        .
      • (Skip) K8RRA
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 19, 2008
          YUP Mark I agree -- thanks Linda.

          On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 14:32 -0400, k8mhz@... wrote:

          > I, for one, have always wondered how much electricity could be
          > garnered from a home brew windmill. Would they be able to be 'piggy
          > backed' to produce current levels in excess of any indivual generator
          > (or alternator as the case may be).
          I for two, have long wondered if our consumption habits would ever
          change to support this technology. We hams use this kind of stuff to
          power repeaters on hill-tops, not home sites with air conditioning.
          Cruising sailors use it to power GPS & nav lights but never turn the
          prop. Mark your math is right, and yes it will stall before generating
          tripping current for circuit breakers (mostly), but no it just doesn't
          fit the model. We are stuck with gas gens in the back yard -- aarrggg.

          As I've read this stuff about applying small wind turbines in home use
          I've wondered what kind of scam was afoot. Viewed from the utility,
          local gen is more pain than promise. The cost of tuning wind power into
          the standard 120vac is a huge percentage of the total. So look for
          stuff that could run sometimes when the wind is blowing, on variable
          voltage, probably DC, nor require many watts. Not much comes to mind
          does it?

          So we are back to putting repeaters and batteries on windy hill tops.
          Now we can morph into a positive review? Windy hills & windy hams --
          not a bad match up. But it won't sell many. :-)

          73
          de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k
        • Jim KC8PCJ
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 19, 2008
            Linda, Please don't ever feel sorry about bring these things up. It was a learning experience for many. and myself I thing more things on the order of GREEN should be brought up, good or bad. The reflector should be used more for discussion on things like this and radio of course. Most of what I see on the reflector is not very thought provoking.
            Please continue with things you find as far as I am concerned.

            Jim.
            KC8PCJ

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 19, 2008
              Here is a link to building your own 10' wind mill. At 10 MPH wind generates 100 watts. expected at 25 MPH to generate 700 watts

              Many other projects at www.otherpower.com

              Check out there test vehicle.

              240 Windmill

            • kc8hxo
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 20, 2008
                Yeah... Saw this one, and did not need to do any math. Just laughed
                out loud. I guess they know "there's one born every minute".

                FYI, NOARC has run ALL of the stations for the last 2 Field Days on
                Solar charged batteries. 100W power, not QRP. NO GAS GENERATOR at all.
                Man, is the QUIET ever nice!! Works well. Stop in and visit us at
                Coast Guard Park in Ferrysburg!

                Greg, KC8HXO
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 22, 2008
                  While driving past Grand Valley's building in Muskegon I see that they
                  have added a wind generator that looks like a lolly pop. A neighbor
                  has one of these wind turbines and I've been wondering if they really
                  work anywhere near as advertised. GVSU is in the energy "business"
                  and way out there trying new things. I'm guessing that if I were to
                  drop into their facility why would they not give me a straight answer
                  to the question, "How much energy do these things generate?"

                  I'm glad that some folks have "done the math" and shown a flaw in the
                  logic of the "snake oil" salesmen. Thank you.

                  We can all wonder at the possibility. And we can encourage each
                  other's dreams. Certainly it is a challenge to take your home off the
                  grid. And certainly it is a worthy challenge. Don't squish a dream.
                  Add a little reality. Energy costs, like gasoline, (aren't they the
                  same thing?) (it's just politically correct to jump on the gas price
                  band wagon) will certainly only go higher. Find a way to help the
                  monthly budget.

                  Bill, AB8SC