Laryn, K8TVZ and Bob, KD8HNF narrowly beat GRARA's Pres in Fox Hunt

  • mike_w8der
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2008
      Fox"ees" Tom and Sheila Bosscher (K8TB/k8AJ) kept everyone laughing
      with their taunts as searchers combed western Ottawa County in the
      GRARA "My Money's All Gone Fox Hunt" Saturday afternoon. Tom and
      Sheila had quietly slipped out of the IRA Hamfest in Hudsonville and
      were sitting under a shade tree in Heritage Park on Canel Avenue in
      Grandville. For a while it seemed like nobody would find them.
      Hints like "I see a lot of green", and "this ice cream tastes good"
      didn't seem to help a lot.

      Laryn Lohman, K8TVZ, and his sidekick Bob Robinson, KD8HNF, narrowly
      beat the GRARA team of President Jack Kunnen, AB8ND, Tom Hansen,
      N8DGD, and Louie White, N8ZVB.

      Both teams took over an hour to find the Fox with the winning team
      traveling 8.9 miles and the second team traveling 10 miles. The team
      traveling the least distance within the two hour contest time becomes
      the winner who earns a nifty certificate "suitable for framing" and
      the first shot at becoming the fox for next month's hunt.

      All teams found Heritage Park within the two hour limit
      with "straggler" Mike Hill, W8DER, stumbling in with 8 minutes to
      spare and the team of Jim Leys, KD8CAN, and Kirk Wyatt, KC8TTT,
      slipping in with three minutes to spare. Admittedly the hints got a
      little better at the end. The final hint went something like "fill
      in the blank -- I would go to a dentist for a root _____."

      Everyone who met at the Burger King on 44th and Kennowa for a drink
      agreed that this transmitter hunt will be hard to beat.

      BUT WE ARE GOING TO TRY IN JULY. STAY TUNED......

      Clubs represented included HARC, GRARA, Lowell and GVSU.

      Our thanks go out to Tom and Sheila for showing us how much fun a
      transmitter hunt can be. Also our thanks to the IRA folks for
      letting us start our hunt from their hamfest.

      For information on the next hunt, rules and equipment tips, watch the
      GRARA web site, http://www.W8DC.Org under "Fox Hunts 2008".

      The Grand Rapids Amateur Radio Association