New ham and a half wave

    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2008
      Hi all!

      I am proud to announce the latest achievement of my little ham class, that is Tim Dunn, now known as KD8IQV!

      (Golf claps are in order and highly encouraged)

      Now, Tim is an over the road truck driver and wants to play with 2 meter / 440 repeaters.  The problem is that his truck has a fiberglass body.  Does anyone know of an antenna made for such use?  My thoughts were that there has to be an antenna such as an end fed matched 1/2 wave made for use on boat and the occasional Corvette.

      I suggested removing the headliner and sticking a bunch of aluminum foil between the liner and the roof but Tim has indicated that the truck is company owned and he had some sort of an instinct that the owner would probably not go for the idea!  He also is looking for an antenna that will work while mounted on a mirror bracket so it can be removed when he changes trucks.

      Thoughts?  Ideas?  Any will be appreciated and I will pass all along to Tim.

      I am now returning this reflector back to normal amateur radio use....

    • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net

        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2008
          Congrats to Tim!

          The antenna will be tougher. There are half-wave antennas made that
          inherently do not require a ground plane but I haven't found one
          that's dual band. A 19" quarter-wave for 2m works pretty well on 70cm
          also but requires a ground plane. So that's not helpful either. Two
          separate single-band half-wave antennas fed with a band splitter could
          work.

          If I think of something else I'll let you know...

          Laryn K8TVZ

          --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, <k8mhz@...> wrote:

          > Hi all!
          >
          > I am proud to announce the latest achievement of my little ham
          class, that is Tim Dunn, now known as KD8IQV!

          > (Golf claps are in order and highly encouraged)
          >
          > Now, Tim is an over the road truck driver and wants to play with 2
          meter / 440 repeaters. The problem is that his truck has a fiberglass
          body. Does anyone know of an antenna made for such use? My thoughts
          were that there has to be an antenna such as an end fed matched 1/2
          wave made for use on boat and the occasional Corvette.

          > I suggested removing the headliner and sticking a bunch of aluminum
          foil between the liner and the roof but Tim has indicated that the
          truck is company owned and he had some sort of an instinct that the
          owner would probably not go for the idea! He also is looking for an
          antenna that will work while mounted on a mirror bracket so it can be
          removed when he changes trucks.

          > Thoughts? Ideas? Any will be appreciated and I will pass all along
          to Tim.

          > I am now returning this reflector back to normal amateur radio use....
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Mark K8MHZ

        • John Wehmer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2008
            Congrats to Tim.

            There are any number of 1/2 mobile antenna on the market. They look
            like 5/8 but typically are just a little shorter. Just make sure
            that it is a 1/2 wave or multiple of 1/2 waves, not 5/8 wave or
            multiples of 5/8 wave.

            I haves two of them, one is 2/440, the other is 6/2/440. I have had
            them mounted on the side of my van (on the sliding door) with no
            noticeable directivity.

            73, John WB9JSR

            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2008
              Hi John,

              Do  you have a make and a part number for those antennas??

              Thanks,

              Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 02:10
              Subject: [WestMichiganHams] Re: New ham and a half wave

              Congrats to Tim.

              There are any number of 1/2 mobile antenna on the market. They look
              like 5/8 but typically are just a little shorter. Just make sure
              that it is a 1/2 wave or multiple of 1/2 waves, not 5/8 wave or
              multiples of 5/8 wave.

              I haves two of them, one is 2/440, the other is 6/2/440. I have had
              them mounted on the side of my van (on the sliding door) with no
              noticeable directivity.

              73, John WB9JSR

              --- In WestMichiganHams@ yahoogroups. com, <k8mhz@...> wrote:

              > Hi all!
              >
              > I am proud to announce the latest achievement of my little ham
              class, that is Tim Dunn, now known as KD8IQV!

              > (Golf claps are in order and highly encouraged)
              >
              > Now, Tim is an over the road truck driver and wants to play with 2
              meter / 440 repeaters. The problem is that his truck has a
              fiberglass body. Does anyone know of an antenna made for such use?
              My thoughts were that there has to be an antenna such as an end fed
              matched 1/2 wave made for use on boat and the occasional Corvette.

              > I suggested removing the headliner and sticking a bunch of aluminum
              foil between the liner and the roof but Tim has indicated that the
              truck is company owned and he had some sort of an instinct that the
              owner would probably not go for the idea! He also is looking for an
              antenna that will work while mounted on a mirror bracket so it can be
              removed when he changes trucks.

              > Thoughts? Ideas? Any will be appreciated and I will pass all
              along to Tim.

              > I am now returning this reflector back to normal amateur radio
              use....

              > 73
              >
              > Mark K8MHZ

              Checked by AVG.