RE: Storm Spotters

  • Andrew Young
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2008
      Mark,

      I believe a gentleman in northern Muskegon County did lose his life about 10 years ago during the "Derecho" storms.  I don't know if he was a weather spotter but he was out in his vehicle during the storm.  I wasn't involved with Amateur Radio back then so I don't know the details.

      Andrew

      1. Storm Spotters
          From: Mark Strait

      Message
      1. Storm Spotters
          Posted by: "Mark Strait" muskegonjimquay@... muskegonjimquay
          Date: Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm ((PDT))

        Having held a strong passion in weather and storm chasing . I have always question the idea of sending Storm Spotters out into the elements with out making sure they have the proper equipment and knowledge.
        I personally think if a Storm Spotter is sent out the spotter should have a Lap-Top , Cell Phone , 2 meter radio, Weather Radio, GPS, First Aid Kit able to handle severe injuries and knowledge of how to treat severe injuries, Electronic Road Flares or Triangles, Protective Clothing , Eye protection, Head Protection etc.
        To jump into your vehicle and run out to a location and not be prepared can and will have circumstances . Remember , There maybe airborne debris, Hail failing to the ground with great velocity, Trees toppling over , Down Power Lines to name a few possibilities that one can face.
        I have yet to hear of anyone mention these issues . Maybe due to the fact we have never really had a severe situation to where a life had been claimed or someone had been injured.

        Something for those of you who send out Storm Spotters to think about .
        The reason I am posting this is due to the death of a Storm Spotter in Missouri this week .

        Just my own personal thoughts .

        Mark  KD8BIG
    • Jeff's Lists
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2008

        I remember someone did die during the storms but I don’t think it was a spotter. Jim, Don or Tom V might remember..

        For some reason I think he was either hit by a wire or a pole something?  Possibly an electrical worker.

            From: Mark Strait

            Date: Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm ((PDT))

      • stapeljb79@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2008
               Hello, the gentleman's name was John Flynn, a good friend of mine's father. he was on his way out to the lake to watch the storms come in, and a tree fell on his automobile.

               W8SWX

              From: Mark Strait

          Message
          1. Storm Spotters