field day 2008

  • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2008
      LOCAL RADIO ENTHUSIASTS SHARE THEIR PASSION FOR TECHNOLOGY AND PUBLIC SERVICE DURING AMATEUR RADIO WEEK

      LOCAL RADIO ENTHUSIASTS SHARE THEIR PASSION FOR TECHNOLOGY AND PUBLIC SERVICE DURING AMATEUR RADIO WEEK

      For More Information Contact:
      John T Fischer
      616-402-0665

      Grand Haven Mi) -- On-air demonstrations, satellite communications and emergency preparedness activities are on tap for members of the North Ottawa amateur radio club as they gear up to celebrate Amateur Radio Week, June 23 & 29 2008

      During Amateur Radio Week, enthusiasts will put on demonstrations, give talks to community groups and take part in other activities to raise awareness about Amateur Radio. The week culminates with the annual preparedness exercise called "Field Day," June 28 and 29. Field Day is sponsored by the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the national association for Amateur Radio.

      During Field Day, operators set up in local parks, at shopping malls, or even in their own backyards, and get on the air using generators or battery power. Field Day was designed to test operators' abilities to set up and operate portable stations under emergency conditions such as the loss of electricity. "We want the community to know that in the event of an emergency, we will be ready to assist in any way we can, says Jim Miller. "While people often think that cell phones or other communications technologies have replaced ham radio, we can still provide an important communications service that others can't."

      Field Day is a serious test of skill, but it is also a contest for fun and the largest "on-air" operating event each year. During the weekend, radio operators try to contact as many other Field Day stations as possible. More than 30,000 Amateur Radio operators across the country and Canada participated in last year's event.

      The North Ottawa amateur radio club will hold Field Day at Coast Guard park on north shore rd. and will be operating from Sat June 28 starting at 8:00am for setup At 2:00 pm Radio operations start until 2:00 pm Sun June 29 "We hope that anyone who is interested in seeing what Amateur Radio is all about will come out for Field Day," says Jim Miller

      Today there are more than 670,000 Amateur Radio operators in the United States and more than 2.5 million worldwide. To find out more about Amateur Radio or how you can get started, contact John  Fischer at 616-402-0665, or email kc8uny@...  Information is also available from the American Radio Relay League, 225 Main Street , Newington , CT 06111 or by calling 1-800-32-NEW HAM. The URL for the ARRL's home page on the World Wide Web is www.arrl.org.

    • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2008
[...]

        During Field Day, operators set up in local parks, at shopping malls, or even in their own backyards, and get on the air using generators or battery power. Field Day was designed to test operators' abilities to set up and operate portable stations under emergency conditions such as the loss of electricity. "We want the community to know that in the event of an emergency, we will be ready to assist in any way we can, says Jim Miller (Activities director.) "While people often think that cell phones or other communications technologies have replaced ham radio, we can still provide an important communications service that others can't."

        Field Day is a serious test of skill, but it is also a contest for fun and the largest "on-air" operating event each year. During the weekend, radio operators try to contact as many other Field Day stations as possible. More than 30,000 Amateur Radio operators across the country and Canada participated in last year's event.

        The North Ottawa amateur radio club will hold Field Day at Coast Guard park on north shore rd. and will be operating from Sat June 28 starting at 8:00am for setup At 2:00 pm Radio operations start until 2:00 pm Sun June 29 "We hope that anyone who is interested in seeing what Amateur Radio is all about will come out for Field Day," says Jim Miller Activities director.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
          LOCAL RADIO ENTHUSIASTS SHARE THEIR PASSION FOR TECHNOLOGY AND PUBLIC SERVICE DURING AMATEUR RADIO WEEK

          LOCAL RADIO ENTHUSIASTS SHARE THEIR PASSION FOR TECHNOLOGY AND PUBLIC SERVICE DURING AMATEUR RADIO WEEK

          For More Information Contact:
          John T Fischer
          616-402-0665

          Grand Haven Mi) -- On-air demonstrations, satellite communications and emergency preparedness activities are on tap for members of the North Ottawa amateur radio club as they gear up to celebrate Amateur Radio Week, June 27 & 28 2009

          During Amateur Radio Week, enthusiasts will put on demonstrations, give talks to community groups and take part in other activities to raise awareness about Amateur Radio. The week culminates with the annual preparedness exercise called "Field Day," June 27 and 28. Field Day is sponsored by the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the national association for Amateur Radio.

[...]

          The North Ottawa amateur radio club will hold Field Day at Coast Guard park on north shore rd. and will be operating from Sat June 27 starting at 8:00am for setup At 2:00 pm Radio operations start until 2:00 pm Sun June 28 "We hope that anyone who is interested in seeing what Amateur Radio is all about will come out for Field Day," says Jim Miller Activities director.