Upcoming Newaygo County drills

  • Tim Deater
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8 4:44 AM

      Newaygo County has 2 events coming up that need ham radio support.

      First up is a 5K run trough Branstrom Park in Fremont.  We need 5 operators to man some checkpoints around the course.  The park is small enough that portable radios should be more than adequate for all of the stations.  This is on May 27 with hams reporting by 4:00pm.  We should be done within 2 or so hours.  Currently I have nobody signed up for this.

      Our larger event (The 'Dam' Full Scale Exercise) is on Tuesday, June 3rd.  This will start at 4:00pm and run until 10:00pm.  This exercise is a county wide exercise testing our response to the failure of both the Croton and Hardy dams on the Muskegon River.  This drill will include many different local and state agencies, the portable hospital, swift water rescue training and mass causality simulations.  The Red Cross will be providing food.

      Our primary role as amateurs for this drill will be supporting the National Weather Service.  We need hams stationed along the river in locations where they would be able to observe the flood without being washed away themselves.  The National Weather Services pointed out that if the dam was to fail, all of their river gauging and monitoring in Newaygo County would be not operational.  We have to provide the status of the flood back so they know timing as to when it will arrive in each location.  This information drives the rest of the evacuation operations and is critical.  For the drill, the NWS will provide us with pre-scripted messages for the different locations to read at specific times.

      I need at least 15 operators, more if possible, that can bring and operate portable field stations and or portable radios.  I also need locations that anyone may know of between and below the two dams that we can get operators to for watching the river.  These locations should be on public or Consumers Energy property outside of the flood plain. I can check any suggested locations against the flood inundation map to see if they are ok.  I know of at least 2 locations where you would be able to sit in your vehicle to operate.  Currently, I have 1 operator signed up.

      Please let me know by the 21 of May if you can participate in either or both of these events.  Please pass this along to anyone you think would be interested.

      Thanks!

      73

      Tim Deater

      KC8MSE

      Newaygo County EC

      kc8mse@...

    • KD8CBJ@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21 6:51 PM
        Sign me up for both Tim.
        On another note,I need to schedule an appointment with you for some-paid- laptop assistance.I feel too many times I have just shown up and gotten "free"help from you.I just don't want to wear out my welcome.Friendly tips and tricks are one thing, but business is business.

                                                                                                             73 KD8CBJ