Re: [WestMichiganHams] DXCC #1

  • K8MHZ
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      I thought it was WCI.  (Way cool information)
      Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 8:06 PM
      Subject: RE: [WestMichiganHams] DXCC #1

      In the olden days, the western portion of Pennsylvania was in eight land and Frank had a call W8CRA.  Then the FCC changed around the call sign districts and moved all of Pennsylvania into three land.  All these Penna eights had to get new calls.  In fact, in the olden days you got a new call whenever you moved to another call sign district.  And your call sign did not just change in number but could have changed significantly.  It is only recently that call signs have not been changed when you move.  Now we don't know which state a ham lives in only from her call sign.  Well, that is unless she signs portable four, for example.

      It's only important when working for an award or something.  Oh, and some DX will call by the numbers and those portable in a lightly populated area, seven land, might try to slip past the DX when he is calling by the numbers.

      Bill, AB8SC

      As you all know, Bill AB8SC came through with the call we all sought.  That call is W8CRA.

      Later, Frank Lucas changed his call to W3CRA.  W3CRA is now the call of the Collins Radio Association.

      Got a Collins?  Even if you don't and just like them, please take some time to visit www.collinsra.com.  Collins owners may want to consider joining the Association.