Re: [WestMichiganHams] gel cell float charger project

  • Alan NV8A
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 6, 2006
      The Meijer store on Riley in Holland has that charger on sale again for
      $36.00 instead of the usual $49.99. And if you're an "old fogey" and get
      there before midnight tonight (Monday), you can get another 15% off.

      Alan NV8A

      On 02/24/06 10:08 pm Jim KC8PCJ wrote:

      > True but I have 5 smaller Gel cells that I use with my HT in a belt pack.
      > Must of the time the are not being use. This should maintain them better
      > than a rapid charge because they sat to long. I have a larger automatic
      > charger for the bigger batteries. That charger at Meijers does sound like a
      > very useful charger though. Is that something they have on the shelf know?
    • Laryn Lohman
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 13, 2006
        The charger at Meijer's sounds like a decent deal. It will bring a
        discharged battery back to full charge much quicker than a float
        charger set at a regulated voltage (usually around 13.60 volts). A
        float charger will fully charge a battery, but it takes a lot longer
        because the charge rate falls off rapidly as the battery approaches
        the float voltage.

        So use the Maijer's-type charger to charge after use, then move to a
        REGULATED VOLTAGE float charger to keep it there, or a type of <smart>
        charger to handle that for you. Charging a battery long-term with a
        so-called <trickle charger> available off the shelf somewhere is a
        good way to fry a good battery in a fairly short time.

        Hope this helps...

        Laryn K8TVZ