MS-150 Information?

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 6, 2008
      Is there any info available on the MS 150 - which last year ran from
      south of Grand Rapids to Holland and back?

      I'll try to scare up some help.

      73 de n8xx Hg
    • John Wehmer
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
        Hank,

        Historically, the Ottawa County ARES/RACES group (OCEC) has supplied
        the communications for this even, with help from Hams from all over.
        The Holland Repeater on 147.06 has been used and the bikes would run
        through SW Kent and Allegan county to Holland on Saturday, spend the
        night at Hope College and then travel through Ottawa County back to SW
        Kent on Sunday.

        73, John WB9JSR ORS

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

        > Is there any info available on the MS 150 - which last year ran from
        > south of Grand Rapids to Holland and back?
        >
        > I'll try to scare up some help.
        >
        > 73 de n8xx Hg

      • Laryn Lohman
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
          Hank,

          This year the dates are May 31 and June 1. Saturday morning the bikes
          leave from Holland, travel south to somewhere near South Haven, and
          return for overnight. Sunday morning leaving Holland, traveling to
          the Spring Lake area, through the Hudsonville area, and back to Holland.

          A number of hams are needed. It's a fun event, free food, full days,
          good cause.

          <http://bikemig.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BIKE_MIG_Details#west_mi>

          Laryn K8TVZ

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2008
            Thanks, Laryn

            I see that it's two loops from Holland to Holland two daze.

            If some of us from the Grand Rapids area drap over to Holland on
            Saturday, will the MS folks put us up, or do we have to either find a
            motel or drive about 60 to 90 miles round trip back home and back to
            Holland again on Sunday? This might make a difference to some folks
            on whether they'd volunteer for one or two daze.

            Please advise.

            73 de n8xx Hg

            --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Laryn Lohman" <larynl@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 12, 2008
              I might be able to participate, but I need to know what type of radio
              you guys think I need. At this time I only have HF desktop rigs, and
              will need to purchase whatever I might need for this project. I asked
              before, but no one answered...

              Happy trails. 73 ==== JH Richards - K8JHR =====

              Hank Greeb wrote:

              This might make a difference to some folks
              > on whether they'd volunteer for one or two daze.

            • Joe Veldhuis
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 12, 2008
                You will need:

                * A 2 meter or dual-band HT (if buying new, I recommend the Icom IC-T7H Sport, $170 from www.randl.com)
                * A cigarette lighter adapter for it
                * A mag-mount antenna with appropriate adapter
                * Sunscreen

                -Joe, N8FQ

              • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 12, 2008
                  2meter 70cm with a magmount antenna and lighter plug for power

                  ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ====

                  ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ===

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 12, 2008
                    Thanks for the uptake. I will check it out.

                    Especially the sunscreen...

                    //////////// Richards - K8JHR ///////////

                    Joe Veldhuis wrote:

                    > You will need:
                    >
                    > * A 2 meter or dual-band HT (if buying new, I recommend...
                    and
                    > * Sunscreen

                  • Steve Vander Hill
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 16, 2008
                      Hi Hank, I will check with MS to see if HOPE College dorm rooms will be available, I will advise.

                      Good question!

                      73s
                      Steve  N8UJD

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 17, 2008
                        John:

                        Don't know what kind of "base station" you have, but typically I've
                        used my mobile station and a mag mount. The mobile station has more
                        power (I typically run it at about 20 watts, a mid range, but can go
                        up to 50 watts if in a hole). A 5/8 wave mag mount is almost a
                        necessity in some areas of the usual routes.

                        One needs, in any case, a 12VDC adapter with a plug for a cigarette
                        lighter outlet. Even if you're using a handheld (which works in
                        probably 90+% of the locations, you can run the internal batteries
                        down if you don't have a charger.

                        73 de n8xx Hg

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 17, 2008
                          Thanks for the uptake. All very helpful input.

                          "base station" is an Omni VII AT HF transceiver.
                          I am in process of selecting VHF/UHF equipment.