: Revised Scanner Legislation

  • Tom VanderMel
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
      FYI to All

> [...]
      > during the preceding 5 years shall not carry or have in his or her
      > possession a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a
      > frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the
      > United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting,
      > emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland
      > security purposes. This subsection does not apply to a person who is
      > licensed as an amateur radio operator by the federal communications
      > commission. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a
      > misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a
      > fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.
      > (2) A person shall not carry or have in his or her possession in the
      > commission or attempted commission of a crime a radio receiving set
      > that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal
      > communications commission of the United States for police or other law
      > enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local
      > corrections, or homeland security purposes. A person who violates this
      > subsection is guilty of a crime as follows:
      > (a) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted
      > commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of
      > imprisonment of at least 93 days but less than 1 year, the person is
      > guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1
      > year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.
      > (b) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted
      > commission of a misdemeanor or felony punishable by a maximum term of
      > imprisonment of 1 year or more, the person is guilty of a felony
      > punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not
      > more than $2,000.00, or both.
      > (3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who carries or has in his
      > or her possession a radio receiving set described in subsection (2) in
      > the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a
      > maximum term of imprisonment of less than 93 days.
      > (4) This section does not apply to the use of radar detectors.
      > Enacting section 1. This amendatory act takes effect 90 days after the
      > date it is enacted.
      > This act is ordered to take immediate effect.
      > ss//Clerk of the House of Representatives
      > ss//Secretary of the Senate
      > Approved
      > ss//Governor

      > ARRL Michigan Section
      > Section Manager: Dale R. Williams, WA8EFK
      > wa8efk@...
      > This message is being sent to you via the ARRL Members Only Web site.
      > If you do not want to receive further messages, go to the site at:
      > http://www.arrl.org/members-only/memdata.html?modify=1
      > Log in with your username and password and change your email options.
      > Unchecking the "News and information from your Division Director and
      > Section Manager" box will prevent messages such as this one from
    • Andrew Young
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006
        So what's the change- Exempting Advanced and Novice class operators in the
        law?? I think it read tech, general and Extra before.

        I was (politely) confronted about my "scanner" in my vehicle last Tuesday by
        one of the officers who took the police report for my burned-up truck. He
        didn't realize I was a ham, but I explained that the "scanner" was a radio
        and that I was licensed to use it and he understood.

> [...]
        > > Enacting section 1. This amendatory act takes effect 90 days after the
        > > date it is enacted.
        > > This act is ordered to take immediate effect.
        > > ss//Clerk of the House of Representatives
        > > ss//Secretary of the Senate
        > > Approved
        > > ss//Governor

        > > ARRL Michigan Section
        > > Section Manager: Dale R. Williams, WA8EFK
        > > wa8efk@...
        > > This message is being sent to you via the ARRL Members Only Web site.
        > > If you do not want to receive further messages, go to the site at:
        > > http://www.arrl.org/members-only/memdata.html?modify=1
        > > Log in with your username and password and change your email options.
        > > Unchecking the "News and information from your Division Director and
        > > Section Manager" box will prevent messages such as this one from

      • K8MHZ
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006
          Hello Andrew,

          The change is that anyone that does not have a recent felony conviction can
          have a scanner anywhere they want, including vehicles. If you are a recent
          (5 years and less past) felon you can't even have one in your
          house....unless you are an amateur radio operator. If you are a ham you can
          also be a felon and have a scanner.

          The part of the new law that addresses the use of scanners while in the
          commission or planning of a crime is already covered by federal law.

          I think I will start visiting the penitentiaries to recruit some of those
          fine folks for our upcoming tech classes. (Not)

          > So what's the change- Exempting Advanced and Novice class operators in the
          > law?? I think it read tech, general and Extra before.
          >
          > I was (politely) confronted about my "scanner" in my vehicle last Tuesday
          > by
          > one of the officers who took the police report for my burned-up truck. He
          > didn't realize I was a ham, but I explained that the "scanner" was a radio
          > and that I was licensed to use it and he understood.

        • Bill Fries
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006

            All:

            While strolling through Google's news headlines I saw, "Sun's next 11-year cycle could be 50 pct stronger"

            You can read the text:

            http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyid=2006-03-06T204858Z_01_N06327000_RTRUKOC_0_US-SPACE-SUN.xml

            Good for DX???