Re: [WestMichiganHams] New Operator notes:

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
      This raises a question in my mind...

      If one does not own a frequency, then how can one legally camp
      his repeater on a given frequency and then block others from using
      that frequency? (I am assuming a case where no operator has
      violated any rules, regulations, and is using good operator
      practice.)

      Thanks - ////////// Richards - K8JHR ////////////

      k8mhz@... wrote:

      > repeater owner does *not* own the frequency but is responsible for the
      > use of the repeater and therefore it is perfectly legal not only to set
      > rules for that repeater, but ... limit the use of their repeater to
      anyone they feel fit. Amateurs do not have a given right to use
      any repeater just because it is there.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
        That is a good question.

        The issue is interference.  For instance, if I see a friend a short distance ahead of me that I think may be listening to a repeater it is legal for me to make an attempt to contact him via simplex using low power on the output frequency of the repeater.  In order to maintain good operating practice that contact would be such that we moved to a simplex frequency and continued our QSO.  If my transmission interfered with an ongoing QSO of any sort, repeater or not, there would be a legal ramification.

        Bear in mind that repeaters can only exist on certain parts of the band which allows for simplex users to be free of any chance of interfering with a repeater.  I refer you to 97.203(b).  Granted, the space set aside for simplex is small, but exists nonetheless.  Luckily in our area there is enough space in the bands not used by repeaters where simplex operation is not impeded at all.  There is even enough space where 146.52 is not needed to ragchew on, but that is another issue completely.

        ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========

        k8mhz@k8mhz. com wrote:

        > repeater owner does *not* own the frequency but is responsible for the
        > use of the repeater and therefore it is perfectly legal not only to set
        > rules for that repeater, but ... limit the use of their repeater to
        anyone they feel fit. Amateurs do not have a given right to use
        any repeater just because it is there.

        ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ======

        Checked by AVG.
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
          Thanks -- but the correct reference is: 97.205(b) ...

          Still seems inconsistent,... but the law if full of that
          sort of thing. Apparently, the FCC encourages repeater
          use over simplex usage. I suppose absent a loud outcry
          against restrictive repeater management, it favors repeater
          use and deployment. If there were a lot of complaints of
          undue restrictions by repeater owners, then maybe it would
          adopt a different position.

          //////////// JHR /////////////

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
            Oops, you are right...the eyes aren't as good as they once were!

            Methinks the only outcry of overprotected repeater frequencies is from people that want to put up repeaters on coordinated pairs that are granted but are not or are no longer used.  If you look at the ARRL recommended 2 meter band plan there is plenty of room for both simplex and repeater use.  I use simplex on a fairly regular basis.  I have one frequency that a friend and I use and another for the participants of my radio class.  To date, I have never had anyone outside these to groups break in.  In fact I have never even heard anyone outside these two groups on the frequencies.  Around here, at least, there is plenty of room for simplex.  Most people are so used to repeaters when they do use simplex they are surprised at the range they can get!

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
              Thanks for the reply.

              I just noticed your call sign... very cool. I bet you
              could sell it for big money! ;-)

              On another front... Do you guys have any regular HF nets?
              If so, is there a web site or FAQ that tells about them?

              Thanks for your courtesy and assistance. Happy trails and 73.