Anyone else working Ducie?

  • kc8hxo
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
      Got them 1st call this morning on 40M phone. (40W and a wire).
      Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess!!

      Greg, KC8HXO
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "kc8hxo" <kc8hxo@...> wrote:

        > Got them 1st call this morning on 40M phone. (40W and a wire).
        > Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess!!
        >
        > Greg, KC8HXO

        Greg:

        I'm hoping that there is a short story about VP6 in the upcoming issue
        of Flashovers, the Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council's newsletter
        regarding my chase for that DX. Congrats on your catch.

        I was reading on their web site that all hams should give them a call.
        They are occupying a remote, desolate, and uninhabited (well,
        uninhabited usually with nine or ten folks there now) island. Give
        them a call as they don't have anything better to do than QSO you.

        Work them now as they are leaving in well under a week.

        Keep your eyes open for Clipperton Island coming next month.

        Bill, AB8SC
        MAARC guy
      • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
          Greg I worked them yesterday on 17m and this morning on 20m John kc8uny  already sent qsl for 17m
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
            kc8hxo wrote:
            >Got them 1st call this morning on 40M phone. (40W and a wire).
            > Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess!!
            > Greg, KC8HXO

            Greg, I am not a dx'r, but it has been fun watching/listening to
            these guys. I got them on 20 and 17 ssb and cw. I'm a hack at CW, and
            they stayed right with me. I thought how they operated, with giving the
            listening frequency out rather often, was very nice.

            Superbly organized. Top notch operators, and they really put up
            great antennas. They heard my 100 watts with a wire dipole also. They
            are using seven Elecraft K3's, which hear very well, as that is what I
            have here.

            It took me about 15 calls on 20 SSB to get them. On the other hand,
            K8AJ got them right after me, with just one call. Something about a 18
            dB gain voice advantage.

            I've seen groups put DVD's on their dxexpeditions at Dayton, and I
            never cared, but I just might be interested in one for Ducie.

            tom k8tb
          • Jim KC8PCJ
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
              Frequency?

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
                Jim they asr working split 20m 14.190,listening up 14.245 to250 17m 18165 listening down 18.160 hope this helps john kc8uny
                >Got them 1st call this morning on 40M phone. (40W and a wire).
                > Sometimes you just get lucky, I guess!!
                > Greg, KC8HXO

                Greg, I am not a dx'r, but it has been fun watching/listening to
                these guys. I got them on 20 and 17 ssb and cw. I'm a hack at CW, and
                they stayed right with me. I thought how they operated, with giving the
                listening frequency out rather often, was very nice.

                Superbly organized. Top notch operators, and they really put up
                great antennas. They heard my 100 watts with a wire dipole also. They
                are using seven Elecraft K3's, which hear very well, as that is what I
                have here.

                It took me about 15 calls on 20 SSB to get them. On the other hand,
                K8AJ got them right after me, with just one call. Something about a 18
                dB gain voice advantage.

                I've seen groups put DVD's on their dxexpeditions at Dayton, and I
                never cared, but I just might be interested in one for Ducie.

                tom k8tb

              • K8TB
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
                  Jim KC8PCJ wrote:

                  >Frequency?

                  http://ducie2008.dl1mgb.com/operating/frequencies/index.php

                  On SSB they announce where they are listening, not how many kc's up they
                  are.

                  On cw they will indicate QSX xx.xxx, which is where they are listening.

                  Also, check any of the online dx clusters/spotters.

                  tom k8tb
                • kc8shz2000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 24, 2008
                    vp6dx contact at 1726 on 15m. 27.295. up 5.
                    --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, K8TB <k8tb@...> wrote:

                    > Jim KC8PCJ wrote:
                    >
                    > >Frequency?
                    >

                    > http://ducie2008.dl1mgb.com/operating/frequencies/index.php
                    >
                    > On SSB they announce where they are listening, not how many kc's up
                    they
                    > are.
                    >
                    > On cw they will indicate QSX xx.xxx, which is where they are
                    listening.

                    > Also, check any of the online dx clusters/spotters.
                    >
                    > tom k8tb

                  • allen michels
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 25, 2008
                      I worked VP6DE on 15m or 17m  cant not remember