Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: W1YL

  • Al Pepping
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      Forgot to mention:   The below information obtained off the internet?    NOPE.... February 1951 issue of QST.    Good reading.........smell is kinda funky tho.........KV8X

       Subject: [WestMichiganHams] Re: W1YL

        Thought you'd like to pass this along to K0LEY for some inspiration.  Ellen White, W1YL was first licensed in 1946. She also held calls W2RBU, KH6QI, W6YYM and W1YYM before she got her present call.  In the early 1950's, she held a 1st class radiotelephone and 2nd class radiotelegraph license, was an official observer and held a RCC certificate. She was a radio announcer and broadcast engineer in San Diego and Honolulu and majored in physics at San Diego State.  She was at one time, the only female to hold a SCM position with the ARRL.  She later, along with her husband W1WPO (W1CW) held a  top position at ARRL headquarters for a number of years.  The picture I have of her shows her sitting at the helm of the station, with a Vibroplex bug in her right hand, and a very confidant smile on her face.       Kinda says it all, doesn't it??????      KV8X

      Wow!!!

      I got the info about DXCC #1 from a 20 year old article in QST...."The DXCC in Retrospect" by Ellen White W1YL/4.

      Thanks to everyone for sharing in the fun but we aren't done yet...

      Stay tuned.

    • K8MHZ
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        I am shocked to find out just how little has changed in the last 20 years.

        When I read the old QST's I see just how little 'major' changes actually affect our life.  We tend to hold the Internet in such high regard that we cling to the belief that we simply could not function without it.

        I read of satellites, computer logging, computer generated charts, packet radio, weather fax....all the stuff we consider avante guarde, and not a single mention of the Internet.  It was only an experiment at the time.

        73,

        mhz

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006

          All:

          At this evening's club meeting we will be packaging a few QSL cards together for Peter I Island.  They will all go to the QSL manager in New Jersey and all will be returned to AB8RD's QTH from the callbook.

          Do you want to drop a card in there?  The outgoing envelope will also have enough room for a greenstamp to help the QSL manager offset his expense.

          Under separate cover we will gather donations for the actual Dxpedition.  These donations will be sent directly to K4UEE together with a thank you card.  I'm planning to drop $40 into this envelope.  You might want to also donate?

          Bill, AB8SC

        • K8MHZ
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
            RE: Donations:

            On their site they have stuff you can buy to help with funds.  Cool Peter 1 stuff.  Maybe instead of putting 40 clams in the box you could get 40 clams worth of Peter 1 stuff and use it as gifts, prizes, decorations, etc.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006

              Yes, there are other options.  I bet if I buy $40 in merchandise they don’t get $40 in donations.  And if I use Paypal they don't get $40 either.  So I'll just send cash.

              My personal opinion.

              Bill, AB8SC

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                Gotcha

                mhz
                Yes, there are other options.  I bet if I buy $40 in merchandise they don’t get $40 in donations.  And if I use Paypal they don't get $40 either.  So I'll just send cash.

                My personal opinion.

                Bill, AB8SC

                RE: Donations:

                On their site they have stuff you can buy to help with funds.  Cool Peter 1 stuff.  Maybe instead of putting 40 clams in the box you could get 40 clams worth of Peter 1 stuff and use it as gifts, prizes, decorations, etc.

                Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.