Re: [WestMichiganHams] Stumped?

  • K8MHZ
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      #2 goes to Doug Bordon!  #3 goes to Jeff Bordon! #4 goes to Henry Saski! #5 goes to a Brit, G6WY!

      Who was #1?
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

        Doing a google search for "pre war dxcc" netted the answer:

        --Frank Lucas, W8CRA. DXCC Certificate #1(Pre-war). The first great American DXer. Lucas was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

        It came from a site with lots of great reading:

        http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/HallofFame.htm

      • Bill Fries
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

          Check this out, a place with more information on the guy with the FIRST DXCC

          http://www.geocities.com/w8jyz/W3CRA_b.pdf

        • K8MHZ
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
            Nice Job!!!

            Now, do you know what his SECOND call was and who holds it now?

            I promised the gentleman that resides over that call to make favorable mention of same.

            Ready for round 2?

            Way to go Bill!

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
              Do all my clues make sense now??