Re: [WestMichiganHams] Stumped?

  • K8MHZ
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      That's because it was lost to history....until I found it!

      So, keep digging, my friend.  The name of (blank) and his call...(now what was his call again?) shall not be forgotten!

      Pitiful.....I'll bet The Old Man is rolling in his grave now that we have forgot the name of the one of the greatest DXers of all time.

      Think!  Think!  Who was this operator?  He deserves more than this, check this out:

       D.X.C.C. Certificate #l (Pre-war). The first great American DXer. (??Blank??) was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

      73,

      K8MHZ

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
        #2 goes to Doug Bordon!  #3 goes to Jeff Bordon! #4 goes to Henry Saski! #5 goes to a Brit, G6WY!

        Who was #1?
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

          Doing a google search for "pre war dxcc" netted the answer:

          --Frank Lucas, W8CRA. DXCC Certificate #1(Pre-war). The first great American DXer. Lucas was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

          It came from a site with lots of great reading:

          http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/HallofFame.htm

        • Bill Fries
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

            Check this out, a place with more information on the guy with the FIRST DXCC

            http://www.geocities.com/w8jyz/W3CRA_b.pdf

          • K8MHZ
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
              Nice Job!!!

              Now, do you know what his SECOND call was and who holds it now?

              I promised the gentleman that resides over that call to make favorable mention of same.

              Ready for round 2?

              Way to go Bill!

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                Do all my clues make sense now??