Re: [WestMichiganHams] Stumped?

  • Al Pepping
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      Ya just can't do this to an OM with time on his hands.................What was the original question, for some reason it did not post here???????.....KV8X

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
        No problem, Al.

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
          Verrrry Interesting....

          Especially since the answer is in not one, but TWO QST magazines.  A May and an October issue.  It was called DXCC right from the get go.

          Happy hunting!

          K8MHZ

          (Tell Bill to ask Ellen, she knows!)
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

            I just got a quick note from Jim Weaver, K8JE.  He is the head ARRL guy for our area, er, um, Director.  He will not divulge the name, either.

            A most challenging conundrum.

            Bill

          • K8MHZ
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
              That's because it was lost to history....until I found it!

              So, keep digging, my friend.  The name of (blank) and his call...(now what was his call again?) shall not be forgotten!

              Pitiful.....I'll bet The Old Man is rolling in his grave now that we have forgot the name of the one of the greatest DXers of all time.

              Think!  Think!  Who was this operator?  He deserves more than this, check this out:

               D.X.C.C. Certificate #l (Pre-war). The first great American DXer. (??Blank??) was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

              73,

              K8MHZ

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                #2 goes to Doug Bordon!  #3 goes to Jeff Bordon! #4 goes to Henry Saski! #5 goes to a Brit, G6WY!

                Who was #1?
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

                  Doing a google search for "pre war dxcc" netted the answer:

                  --Frank Lucas, W8CRA. DXCC Certificate #1(Pre-war). The first great American DXer. Lucas was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

                  It came from a site with lots of great reading:

                  http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/HallofFame.htm

                • Bill Fries
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

                    Check this out, a place with more information on the guy with the FIRST DXCC

                    http://www.geocities.com/w8jyz/W3CRA_b.pdf

                  • K8MHZ
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                      Nice Job!!!

                      Now, do you know what his SECOND call was and who holds it now?

                      I promised the gentleman that resides over that call to make favorable mention of same.

                      Ready for round 2?

                      Way to go Bill!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                        Do all my clues make sense now??