Re: [WestMichiganHams] Stumped?

  • Al Pepping
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      Ya just can't do this to an OM with time on his hands.................What was the original question, for some reason it did not post here???????.....KV8X

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

        As I said, I am stumped and sent a message to HQ.  I got a prompt reply which is duplicated here:

        Hi Bill:

        Thanks for your e-mail and I have given this a lot of thought over the

        past few years. I started compiling data from old QST's on the pre-war

        program and, while I have not finished, I have compiled a folder with a

        lot of both pre-war and post war data. And, you are correct, it is

        fascinating reading.

        Thanks for the "push" and while I have some projects that are of a

        priority nature I hope some day soon to give you what you want!

        Regards

        Bill Moore NC1L

        DXCC Branch Manager

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
          No problem, Al.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
            Verrrry Interesting....

            Especially since the answer is in not one, but TWO QST magazines.  A May and an October issue.  It was called DXCC right from the get go.

            Happy hunting!

            K8MHZ

            (Tell Bill to ask Ellen, she knows!)

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

              I just got a quick note from Jim Weaver, K8JE.  He is the head ARRL guy for our area, er, um, Director.  He will not divulge the name, either.

              A most challenging conundrum.

              Bill

            • K8MHZ
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                That's because it was lost to history....until I found it!

                So, keep digging, my friend.  The name of (blank) and his call...(now what was his call again?) shall not be forgotten!

                Pitiful.....I'll bet The Old Man is rolling in his grave now that we have forgot the name of the one of the greatest DXers of all time.

                Think!  Think!  Who was this operator?  He deserves more than this, check this out:

                 D.X.C.C. Certificate #l (Pre-war). The first great American DXer. (??Blank??) was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

                73,

                K8MHZ

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                  #2 goes to Doug Bordon!  #3 goes to Jeff Bordon! #4 goes to Henry Saski! #5 goes to a Brit, G6WY!

                  Who was #1?
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

                    Doing a google search for "pre war dxcc" netted the answer:

                    --Frank Lucas, W8CRA. DXCC Certificate #1(Pre-war). The first great American DXer. Lucas was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

                    It came from a site with lots of great reading:

                    http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/HallofFame.htm

                  • Bill Fries
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

                      Check this out, a place with more information on the guy with the FIRST DXCC

                      http://www.geocities.com/w8jyz/W3CRA_b.pdf

                    • K8MHZ
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                        Nice Job!!!

                        Now, do you know what his SECOND call was and who holds it now?

                        I promised the gentleman that resides over that call to make favorable mention of same.

                        Ready for round 2?

                        Way to go Bill!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                          Do all my clues make sense now??