This is Homebrewing at its Finest

  • Laryn Lohman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2008
      The following comes from another group. Fascinating. Enjoy.

      Laryn K8TVZ

      Thanks to Rod Wallberg KB8DNS for this pointer....

      Trust me guys, you really want to watch this video all the way through...

      <http://paillard.claude.free.fr/>

      The Babelfish translation service is here:
      <http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr>

      Plug in his URL, select "French to English" and hit "Translate".

      And in true McGuyver style, he starts out with a Swiss army knife.

      Mike WA6ILQ
    • muskegonjimquay
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2008
        I translated the french for those who do not want to use the
        translation service . I know French so it was easy enough to type it
        out for you all .

        Lamps radio

        Detailed history of lamps radio
        Building of a transmitter using ancient lamps
        Manufacture of a triode and all tools necessary for his realization
        Small balance sheet of activity with the fabricated triodes

        The author

        Claude slob begins as many in the fifties, by the remote control of
        reduced models. The mechanics being one of its favourite violins of
        Ingres, it puts a full stop of honour to construct the motor which
        will equip the boat.
        In 1959 he becomes F2FO and takes the exam on a transceiver AM 5
        bands of his manufacture. DXCC is although quickly fastened traffic
        is not its " cup of tea " and serves mostly only for validating a
        personal realization. It gives joy therefore in heart with BLU which
        becomes established little by little on bands amateurs. Then a period
        RTTY, on re-conditioned machines comes.

        His first article for Radio-ref (in 1959) is BFO for " command set "
        BC453 who hold attention for their remarkable selectivity. He becomes
        the editor of the " Analyses of magazines ", column which he will
        hold several years. He will also be councilman of administration of
        REF for 3 years.
        It publishes an implement, between others, a linear booster equipped
        with 811, oscillographique allowing the permanent control of the
        quality of modulation but also the purity of the issued sign, a
        camera TV equipped with integrated circuits and several equipment BLU
        of which a transistorized transceiver which will be broadly used in
        motive.

        It is then the realization of a station 2300 MHz then an equipment 10
        GHz descriptions of which appear in Radio-ref. These two achievements
        are crowned on the ground by first " Frances-England " in 1968 and
        1969. A superb QSO "cross-country running-band " 2,3 - 10 GHz on a 40
        km distance still stays in the memory of the sacred good instants of
        the signatories!

        Loving and respectful of the old and venerable components, he makes
        relive tubes of reception of the twenties by making them issue 3
        watts in the band 80m in telegraphy. QSO in all Europe will be
        accomplished... See Broadcasting chapter QRP.

        His veneration for the equipment of mister Arthur Collins, leads it
        to restore a certain number of transceivers Collins, and particularly
        the 618-T.

        And then, it is to participate in its manner in the centenary of the
        creation of the triode by Lee De Forest in 1906, it launches into the
        manufacture of the mythical TM put in the point by the general Ferrié
        in 1915. Make a lamp, it is not so easy, but to complicate difficulty
        a bit, F2FO is going to construct all essentials in this plan, and
        particularly various pomps, of which a molecular, to acquire a space
        allowing job in program of the accomplished tubes.

        A dozen lamps is so going to come into the world...

        To prove measurements, QSO will be accomplished on the January 1st,
        2005 on 80m in CW between Montrouge / 92 and Camaret / 29. Tubes are
        robust and will make other contacts...

        The initial purpose, which was to cross Atlantic, was attained by
        F6BWO who accomplished of numerous QSO on 4 continents.

        Work

        Work

        *Lamps: history of lamps radio, of their appearance in 1906 up to the
        advent of the transistor by 1960
        *Transmitter QRP: realization of a transmitter using lamps dating
        former on 1925
        *Triodes: manufacture of a triode TM and the necessary tools (pomps,
        étuve etc)
        *Photographs: some photographs of stages of manufacture
        *Mr Mignet (format PDF: 58 pages - 2 Mb): original document
        representing the manufacture of " lamps with space in électrodes 3 "
        by a forerunner in the twentieth
        *Supplementary benefits of October 6th, 2005 (not reproduced in
        format PDF)
        *Balance sheet of activity after one year of use of fabricated
        triodes (published in MEGAHERTZ magazine N ° 281 - August, 2006)

        Printable versions of the first four chapters in format PDF are
        available below:

        Lamps (left 1) 72 pages - 68 Mb
        Lamps (left 2) 49 pages - 61 Mb
        Transmitter QRP 41 pages - 5 Mb
        Triodes (left 1) 36 pages - 31 Mb
        Triodes (left 2) 25 pages - 15 Mb
        Triodes (photographs) 6 pages - 24 Mb

        If you want to know about it more, continue unwinding these pages.
        Texts, photographs and video are of AUTHOR F2FO.

        Video

        Very Kewl Larry . Thanks for sharing .

        73 KD8BIG

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Laryn Lohman" <larynl@...>