Stumped?

  • K8MHZ
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      Geez.

      I sure thought someone would have come up with the answer by now.

      Here is another hint.  The call of the second person to get a DXCC was W1BUX.

      I'm sure glad I didn't ask a hard question, like 'what was the first message sent from Taiwan via packet' or something like that.

      Good luck

      mhz
    • Bill Fries
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

        While I'm not ready to give up I did throw in the towel and shoot an e-mail to HQ.  It seems to me that this history should be a little more prominently displayed.

        This was a fun exercise in a scavenger hunt on the internet.

        Bill, AB8SC

      • Al Pepping
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
          Ya just can't do this to an OM with time on his hands.................What was the original question, for some reason it did not post here???????.....KV8X

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

            As I said, I am stumped and sent a message to HQ.  I got a prompt reply which is duplicated here:

            Hi Bill:

            Thanks for your e-mail and I have given this a lot of thought over the

            past few years. I started compiling data from old QST's on the pre-war

            program and, while I have not finished, I have compiled a folder with a

            lot of both pre-war and post war data. And, you are correct, it is

            fascinating reading.

            Thanks for the "push" and while I have some projects that are of a

            priority nature I hope some day soon to give you what you want!

            Regards

            Bill Moore NC1L

            DXCC Branch Manager

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
              No problem, Al.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                Verrrry Interesting....

                Especially since the answer is in not one, but TWO QST magazines.  A May and an October issue.  It was called DXCC right from the get go.

                Happy hunting!

                K8MHZ

                (Tell Bill to ask Ellen, she knows!)

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

                  I just got a quick note from Jim Weaver, K8JE.  He is the head ARRL guy for our area, er, um, Director.  He will not divulge the name, either.

                  A most challenging conundrum.

                  Bill

                • K8MHZ
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                    That's because it was lost to history....until I found it!

                    So, keep digging, my friend.  The name of (blank) and his call...(now what was his call again?) shall not be forgotten!

                    Pitiful.....I'll bet The Old Man is rolling in his grave now that we have forgot the name of the one of the greatest DXers of all time.

                    Think!  Think!  Who was this operator?  He deserves more than this, check this out:

                     D.X.C.C. Certificate #l (Pre-war). The first great American DXer. (??Blank??) was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

                    73,

                    K8MHZ

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                      #2 goes to Doug Bordon!  #3 goes to Jeff Bordon! #4 goes to Henry Saski! #5 goes to a Brit, G6WY!

                      Who was #1?
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

                        Doing a google search for "pre war dxcc" netted the answer:

                        --Frank Lucas, W8CRA. DXCC Certificate #1(Pre-war). The first great American DXer. Lucas was also possessed of one of the greatest ears of all time—he was reportedly able to identify almost every DX call on the air during the late 30’s by the fist, the impact of propagation on the signal, and other individual characteristics.

                        It came from a site with lots of great reading:

                        http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/HallofFame.htm

                      • Bill Fries
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

                          Check this out, a place with more information on the guy with the FIRST DXCC

                          http://www.geocities.com/w8jyz/W3CRA_b.pdf

                        • K8MHZ
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                            Nice Job!!!

                            Now, do you know what his SECOND call was and who holds it now?

                            I promised the gentleman that resides over that call to make favorable mention of same.

                            Ready for round 2?

                            Way to go Bill!

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                              Do all my clues make sense now??