Contesting for DX, Play our Game!

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2007
      Yes, contests are GREAT for chasing DX. I especially enjoy the three
      or five days before when the DX is putting the shack together. He
      will often call CQ before the 'test to check out the shack. That's a
      great time to put a new one into the log. The competition is not so
      stiff.

      And in a contest the exchange is short, sweet, and the DX really likes
      to have your QSO in the log. In and out, then chase the paperwork.
      That's a great way to get new ones. And the contesters seem to like
      sending out a card in exchange for the point in the contest.

      However, your antenna problems will take you out during some juicy
      contests. Isn't the CQ WPX in early March? Phone? I'll have to
      check. I so want to get my tower together. Some really great DX is
      coming. Check out Clipperton Island, for example. Not that they'll
      be contesting. Yes, that was an official "thread drift."

      Bill, AB8SC

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, <k8mhz@...> wrote:

      > "Not to brag but I've got 1600+ QSOs in the log and over 400
      > prefixes."
      >
      > You were using an antenna, weren't you? :)
      >
      > My HF station is down due to the recent windstorms taking out my
      antennas. They won't be back up until spring. And then, I think I am
      going with a vertical as all three of the one's I have survived. (2m,
      440, 10/11m all on the roof) and have been up for years without coming
      down, even with Category 1 hurricane force winds. Yes, that is what
      we had here Monday. 78 mph gusts. When we had the derechos Muskegon
      only clocked 62 mph winds.

      > Cool about the presentation for contests. I have found that when
      the contests are on the air they provide a great means to work all
      sorts of DX that you wouldn't normally be able to do. I only have
      about 325 QSL cards from 60 or so entities but many of them came from
      working contest stations. All hard cards, none of this LOTW stuff,
      either. (My dad collects stamps, I collect *real* QSL cards.) :)
      My cards are worth more to me than my radios. The radios can be replaced.