Opinion please...

  • Jim Miller
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 16, 2007

      I saw this station advertised on qrz.com:

      http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=205b4b17bcd80718053fa832ea59866e;act=ST;f=1;t=176986

      It's older, but the reviews that I have looked at say this is a pretty good rig.  I emailed the seller with a list of questions.

      For a little less money  I can get a used Yaesu 857.  I would still need to purchase a power supply and tuner.

      Which, in your opinion, is the better way to go?

      I am going to upgrade to general in January and am looking for a rig to get on the HF bands.   I would like to purchase a set up that I will be able to use for the next several years.

      I will be operating from an appartment using some kind of simple antenna.  I was considering the MFJ-1622.

      Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

      Jim - kd8fcv

    • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 16, 2007
          750 bucks seems like a ton of money for a 30 year old 100 watt radio.

          I paid 350 dollars for an Icom IC-735 and 150 dollars for the matching auto-tuner.  My radio is about 10 years newer.  I don't know much about the '857s.

          A brand new Icom IC-718 is only 600 dollars.

          If I had 750 dollars to spend on an HF rig I would buy two more IC-735s.

          Have fun, from a die hard Icom fan,

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
            Wow, I can't say that I've had experience with the 301, but it came
            out in 1976!!!! No contest, I'd get the 857 if it was only between
            the two of them. I have an FT-897 which is the same "brain" as the
            857 and find it a nice, modern radio.

            Charlie, KB8SFR
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
              My two cents worth:

              I agree that a newer rig would be a better choice. You might have
              trouble getting service for such an older rig. Or you might argue
              that all its problems have been resolved?

              I'm an Icom guy and have a 735 that works great. It has been in the
              "hospital" a few times. The fix-it guy is good, friendly, and handy.
              I have no experience with Yaesu.

              You don't need the power supply, rig, and antenna tuner from the same
              manufacturer. Power supplies, in particular, are inexpensive. And
              there are great manufacturers who make automatic antenna tuners that
              work wonderfully with all rigs.

              Bill, AB8SC
              MAARC guy
            • Jim Miller
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
                Ok, so a newer rig it is!

                Now for the great debate... why did you choose Icom over Yaesu? I
                currently have a Yaesu 7800 in my truck and love it (of course it's
                the only one I have had, so I have nothing to compare it to).

                Thanks again for the help.

                Jim-kd8fcv
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
                  Why Icom, or Kenwood, or Yaesu? Its probably because of the mobile
                  rig we first purchased. Or the other radio brand was available for a
                  reasonable price. Or the wind blew just right. There are a ton of
                  reasons. Your idea of staying with Yaesu has as much merit as my
                  reason I'm using Icom.

                  I'd suggest you choose a newer rig from the 1990s or later. Get a
                  hundred watts or more (life's too short for QRP in your early stages)
                  and don't worry about the specifications too much. QST has likely
                  reviewed the rig and you will certainly find reviews on eHam. They
                  won't sway you much either way but are good reading. You will be able
                  to stuff bells and whistles inside as you learn you need a CW filter
                  or another microphone.

                  If I were doing it over I'd ask around a club meeting to see what
                  other hams might have to offer. The other ham won't stick you with a
                  lousy rig at a too high price because you'll eventually find out and
                  he knows you'll be around for a few years to remind him of the poor
                  treatment. Or get with KB8VEE and get one of his consignment rigs.

                  Bill, AB8SC
                  MAARC guy
                • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
                      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <kd8fcv@...> wrote:

                      > I saw this station advertised on qrz.com:

                      http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=205b4b17bcd80718053fa832ea5986\
                      > 6e;act=ST;f=1;t=176986

                      Jim: I would agree, that's a little much for an old rig. Search around
                      eham.com classifieds and see what comes up. Try eBay, too.
                    • kc8hxo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 18, 2007
                        Jim- also, please be aware that the FT-301 was available in both a QRP
                        (10W) and 100W model. The 10W model had an accessory outboard amp
                        available, which is HIGHLY sought after yet today. It was the FL-110.
                        I have owned an FT-301 QRP model, with the amplifier. It was a very
                        good radio for it's vintage. I'm not sure if it would matter to you,
                        but if my memory serves me correctly, you could fit the volume of
                        about 4 or 5 FT-857's inside the FT-301. It was quite a good sized
                        rig. I think I know a ham who owns one yet, if you wanted to test
                        drive one before you purchase. Contact me direct, if you need his
                        info. I would agree that you are better off spending your hard earned
                        $$ on a used (LOCAL) late model rig. Same goes for the tuner and power
                        supply. Go get that upgrade!!!!

                        73-
                        Greg, KC8HXO

                        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <kd8fcv@...> wrote:

                        > I saw this station advertised on qrz.com:

                        http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=205b4b17bcd80718053fa832ea5986\
                        > 6e;act=ST;f=1;t=176986

                        <http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=205b4b17bcd80718053fa832ea598\
                        > 66e;act=ST;f=1;t=176986>
                        >
                        > It's older, but the reviews that I have looked at say this is a pretty
                        > good rig.

                        SNIPPED