Re: [WestMichiganHams] Hearing impaired

  • KD8CBJ@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 21, 2007
      Chris,Handi-Hams was going to be my first stop.Met a 16yrl.kid up here in Fremont.Deaf from birth,no real speech capabilities.Not even much of a lip reader,but full American sign.Schools in Flint.He only has mom to sign with,hay it's Fremont.There isn't really anyone else up here that is in his situation,let a lone age.I have a code reader program he could see running.But I'm thinking some code audio on a speaker he can feel,toss a copy of the code/alphabet in front of him and I bet he makes the connection in 2 seconds.Let me see what Handi-Hams recommends for a proper intro through.Thank you Sir.

                                                                                                                    73 KD8CBJ

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 21, 2007
        I wonder if this software would work to change audio from a radio to text:

        They don't get into detail but it may be such that each person has to 'train' the software so it recognizes the voice and may not work with different people.  One would have to contact the purveyor to find out.

        Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 04:52
        Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] Hearing impaired

        Chris,Handi- Hams was going to be my first stop.Met a 16yrl.kid up here in Fremont.Deaf from birth,no real speech capabilities. Not even much of a lip reader,but full American sign.Schools in Flint.He only has mom to sign with,hay it's Fremont.There isn't really anyone else up here that is in his situation,let a lone age.I have a code reader program he could see running.But I'm thinking some code audio on a speaker he can feel,toss a copy of the code/alphabet in front of him and I bet he makes the connection in 2 seconds.Let me see what Handi-Hams recommends for a proper intro through.Thank you Sir.

                                                                                                                      73 KD8CBJ

        Check out AOL Money Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

      • Chris Schulte
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 21, 2007
          Well, the big thing will be just finding something that will convert the audio from cw to dots and dashes.  With the differences in signals on the air, voice might be a bit tough.  Mainly because of the different tones and pitches of everyone's voices, as well as signal strength and what not.  I have a feeling that if he does become a ham, he's going to be a huge psk31 or some other digital mode user.
          Chris, w8cjs

          Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 04:52

          Chris,Handi- Hams was going to be my first stop.Met a 16yrl.kid up here in Fremont.Deaf from birth,no real speech capabilities. Not even much of a lip reader,but full American sign.Schools in Flint.He only has mom to sign with,hay it's Fremont.There isn't really anyone else up here that is in his situation,let a lone age.I have a code reader program he could see running.But I'm thinking some code audio on a speaker he can feel,toss a copy of the code/alphabet in front of him and I bet he makes the connection in 2 seconds.Let me see what Handi-Hams recommends for a proper intro through.Thank you Sir.

                                                                                                                        73 KD8CBJ

          Check out AOL Money Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 21, 2007
            I'd guess that Chris is right and the digital modes will be wonderful
            for this guy. I bet you could get something to flash a light to
            signal the code.

            And there are a few folks in Fremont who sign. I can think of two or
            three without breaking a sweat. One or two even work with deaf folks.
            I can get you contacts if it would help. Granted, the signers are
            not hams.

            Bill, AB8SC
          • ravennaelectronics
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 21, 2007
              Good day everyone.
              Being hearing impaired to the point that I wearing a hearing aid in
              each ear and have suffered through many ear sugeries, I find the
              digital modes the easiest. I am thankful to have the hearing I do
              have. Even with my hearing aids I find it difficult to hear voice
              transmissions at times. I have no problem with the CW as long as I
              zero in on it and watch the blinking light on the radio. That helps a
              lot when the signal is in that hearing loss range. Packet is good too.

              Rich "Doc" Strait, KD8BGQ

            • KD8CBJ@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2007
                Bill,I'll get back to you on the locals.
                                                                                                                     73 KD8CBJ

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 26, 2007
                  Paul:

                  One is easy. You'll see Jim, N8ACL this Saturday for breakfast. If
                  memory serves me right his wife teaches sign language.

                  Bill, AB8SC