Working the Satellites with Your FM Rig

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007

      November - a great mobile satellite month

      Bob WB4AOR says November should be a great month for working Amateur Radio satellites from your Mobile FM rig.

      There are 7 satellites you can work from your mobile FM rig, including PCSAT-1 which should fully recover by this weekend and last for 2 or more weeks. So now is the time to get going with live satellite contacts via these easy FM satellites, or setting up a SATGATE (Igate).

      DOWNLINK SATELLITE

      145.825 ISS APRS digipeater
      145.825 PCSAT-1 (recovery expected 3 Nov)
      145.825 ANDE-1 (re-entry expected next month)
      435.225 GO-32 +/- 10 KHz and 9600 baud

      435.300 AO-51 *FM Voice* +/- 10 KHz
      436.795 SO-50 *FM Voice* +/- 10 KHz
      436.795 AO-27 *FM Voice* +/- 10 KHz

      As you can see, there will be over 40 passes per day with 18 for the 1200 baud satellites, 6 per day for the 9600 baud GO32 and 18 for the voice birds.

      All 1200 baud pass times are between about 6 AM to 1800 local sun time in the Northern Hemisphere.

      GO-32 and AO-51 voice birds are in the morning and evening, AO-27 is in the afternoon. It is trivial to know when to operate these birds WITHOUT A PC.
      Please see the manual-tracking page:
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/MobileLEOtracking.html

      The packet path on 145.825 is VIA ARISS for all three satellites. The path for GO-32 is VIA 4XTECH and uses two different uplinks: 145.85 for APRS software and messages.145.93 for all Mic-E, D7 and D700 radios. That's more than one pass per hour on 145.825. Lots of contact potential from your mobile...

      For APRS birds:
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/ande-ops.html
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/GO32-ops.html

      For AMSAT birds:
      http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/status.php

      For many of these satellites, you don't even need a tracking program. Just a slip of paper on the dashboard... See:
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/MobileLEOtracking.html

      The best antenna is a 19.5" whip in the center of your roof. 5 dBi gain on the 2m uplink and almost 8 dBi gain for the very weak UHF downlink (above 25 degrees)...

      Watch for special event info.

      WB4APR, Bob

      (Please note: Some of the links listed above appeared not to be working at the time of posting, but have been included on the hope that this proves to be a temporary problem - Richard - g4tut)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • muskegonjimquay
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
        Good info .
        I use the NLSA program .

        http://nlsa.com/

        It is not free but I find it to be well worth the small fee if you
        are a Bird Hunter .

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Mark Thompson <wb9qzb@...>