Fuse Recall

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2007
      Hi All,

      This from QRZ:

      "Just thought everyone should know about this.  Harbor Freight who sends out catalogs to probably all of us is recalling a selection of plug in automotive type fuses.  There are two different part numbers involved, one is for the larger plug in fuses, the other is for mini-fuses.  Part numbers are 92939 and 92940.  They are marketed  under the Storehouse brand and come in a plastic box with Storehouse on the label. These fuses are made in China and under one test a 20 amp fuse didn't open at 50 amps. In fact, the test fixture melted down.  These assortments looked inviting due to the cost and I almost bought some to have some spares laying around, luckily I didn't.  If you have these, contact Harbor Freight about returning them and getting your money back.

      73
      KR8K
      Eric Simons"

      My feeling is that we should only be using Bussmann or Littlefuse fuses for our 12 volt applications.  They are marked with their brand names on them, but you have to look close.  I am also concerned about fuses from Rat Shack as they are now getting stuff from China.  How much could we possibly be saving by using cheap Chinese fuses compared to the risk of failed circuit protection?