RE: [WestMichiganHams] Disposal of defective Fluorescent Light bulbs

  • Jeff's Lists
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007

      I usually stand at the end of my sidewalk and pretend I am throwing the javelin in the Olympics J 8 footers make a cool noise and a good mess

      How does one dispose of used Fluorescent Light bulbs these daze? In the
      past when I had those things, I'd just put them in a sack, break the
      bulb, and put it into the trash. With the EPA and other "do gooders"
      around, I've heard that this is not the current best practice.

      Advice please.

      73 de n8xx Hg

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
        Bulbs or tubes?

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
          Michigan

          Department of Environmental Quality
          Waste and Hazardous Materials Division

          http://deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-ead-tas-eleclamp.pdf

          State Lamp Disposal Policies
          Disposing of your lamps
          Most states do not have special requirements for the disposal of
          regular household mercury-containing fluorescent lamps (including
          compact fluorescents), although a few states and localities ban
          homeowners from disposing of such lamps in normal household trash.

          Recycling your lamps
          Many towns and cities offer recycling opportunities at local
          recycling centers or transfer stations. There may also be household
          hazardous waste collection days when fluorescent lamps are collected
          along with paints, pesticides, used motor oil, etc. Contact your
          local waste disposal officials for details. State requirements and
          recycling opportunities vary.

          For more information, including a list of companies that recycle
          lamps, visit www.lamprecycle.org.