Disposal of defective Fluorescent Light bulbs

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
      How does one dispose of used Fluorescent Light bulbs these daze? In the
      past when I had those things, I'd just put them in a sack, break the
      bulb, and put it into the trash. With the EPA and other "do gooders"
      around, I've heard that this is not the current best practice.

      Advice please.

      73 de n8xx Hg
    • Jeff's Lists
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007

        I usually stand at the end of my sidewalk and pretend I am throwing the javelin in the Olympics J 8 footers make a cool noise and a good mess

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
          Bulbs or tubes?

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
            Michigan

            Department of Environmental Quality
            Waste and Hazardous Materials Division

            http://deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-ead-tas-eleclamp.pdf

            State Lamp Disposal Policies
            Disposing of your lamps
            Most states do not have special requirements for the disposal of
            regular household mercury-containing fluorescent lamps (including
            compact fluorescents), although a few states and localities ban
            homeowners from disposing of such lamps in normal household trash.

            Recycling your lamps
            Many towns and cities offer recycling opportunities at local
            recycling centers or transfer stations. There may also be household
            hazardous waste collection days when fluorescent lamps are collected
            along with paints, pesticides, used motor oil, etc. Contact your
            local waste disposal officials for details. State requirements and
            recycling opportunities vary.

            For more information, including a list of companies that recycle
            lamps, visit www.lamprecycle.org.