Re: [WestMichiganHams] Lids on 146.52

  • wd8usa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
      I hate to tell you I told you so but that is exactly why I do not monitor 652 at all because of local chatter that can be better served by moving off the call frequency after contact is made to an another simplex FREQ of which there is plenty of open spaces to go to- the exception being working a band opening and exchange of signal reports then terminate the contact or emergencies or directions to a motorist.  Many do not listen because of this guy and a few chronic abusers (and you know who you are, and I know who you are) of 652 while not illegal is NOT good amateur practice! I am not suprised at all as to what happened! DE WD8USA   ...-.-

    • (Skip) K8RRA
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
        I too have heard the abuse, Mark, and you Joesph.

        On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 19:28 -0400, wd8usa@... wrote:
        > I hate to tell you I told you so but that is exactly why I do not
        > monitor 652 at all
        I'm sad that we(?) would consider losing the right(?) to meet on 652 due
        to abuse by fellow hams. My experience is like Marks, and so are my
        resources -- I don't have power to override their squelch. I especially
        don't have the "bully pulpit" to override selective hearing if squelch
        is appropriately set.

        > because of local chatter that can be better served by moving off the
        > call frequency after contact is made to an another simplex FREQ of
        > which there is plenty of open spaces to go to- the exception being
        > working a band opening and exchange of signal reports then terminate
        > the contact or emergencies or directions to a motorist. Many do not
        > listen because of this guy and a few chronic abusers
        As a new ham in 1959 I found lids on 40m and 15m code segments. As an
        old ham I find lids as you chronicle. I guess it may be human nature.
        On the other hand, we belong to a (more-or-less) self policing group of
        people who have the means to educate and enforce appropriate use of the
        spectrum we have been granted.

        In fact, I'm tempted to ask you (USA) as Red Cross Comm Chair, to
        coordinate the rest of us in this effort to reclaim 625 from local lids.
        OK - I won't..

        > (and you know who you are, and I know who you are) of 652 while not
        > illegal is NOT good amateur practice! I am not suprised at all as to
        > what happened! DE WD8USA ...-.-

        I favor a couple of things - on the air.

        First, I will take the opportunity to break in to the rag chew and
        discuss how their use is inappropriate and is disadvantaging us who want
        to guard 652 for its purpose as you have described so well. I don't
        know when there will be an opportunity for travel reasons.

        Second, when I get their ear I will pass on this reflector to them so
        the opportunity is at hand to keep an eye on the pulse of the
        neighborhood.

        My basic thought is:
        There are more of *us* than there are of *them* on the bands. It seems
        worth being proactive at preserving our practices until our practices no
        longer serve our needs - then changing them in concert with the
        majority.

        That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I wonder if you guys here on
        WMH will join me?

        73
        de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k
      • wd8usa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
          You bet Skip-Great idea! Perhaps now I might return to the call FREQ!  DE WD8USA   ...-.-

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
            N8NET is on there now ragchewing.

            I can't here who he is talking to.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
              I just asked why N8NET was using the calling frequency rag chew on to make a long story short he is in way interested in moving off the frequency.

              Gentlemen's agreements are only adhered to by gentlemen.  Tim has indicated he is not interested in being one.