Re: Question about trivia question

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6 5:18 AM
      O I C! When could Novices use Variable Frequency Oscillators? I can't
      answer that question, but, I have another question.

      How many of you have legally contacted Australia on 11 Metres? (NOT
      illegally on CB!) I have, and I believe my father did, along with many
      of his contemporaries.

      Before the FCC invented the Citizens Radio Service (CB), hams had 26.96
      to 27.23 MHz as a band shared with Institutional, Scientific, and
      Medical (ISM). The main thing on the band was diathermy, with large,
      unshielded machines which supposedly heated up sore spots on the human
      anatomy and helped with healing.

      But, I digress. Novices HF privileges were 80 and 11 metres - I'm not
      sure the 15 metre band existed at the time, and we definitely did NOT
      have 40 metre privileges. I had one crystal on 3723.9 KHz, and my
      father had one crystal which when quadrupled, was within the 11 metre
      band. (don't remember the exact frequency). My rig was a war surplus,
      single band, converted from VFO to crystal control, so I was stuck on
      3723.9 KHz. However, occasionally I'd fire up my father's homebrew rig,
      make sure I wasn't running more than 75 watts (the power limit for
      Novices at the time) and try 11 metres. There was very little activity
      on the band, and one would occasionally get wiped out by diathermy, but
      I do remember working a VK3 once. That was quite a thrill for a new ham!

      I remember that CB came along in 1953. The hams weren't happy that
      their 11 metre band was taken from them, but Novices got 40 metres (and
      I believe we also had the 15 metre band by then.)

      So, that's another story of the early daze of Novices.

      73 de n8xx Hg