Re: [WestMichiganHams] EZ-NEC User?

  • Al Pepping
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18 6:59 PM
      Hi Hank.

              I have used EZ NEC for several years and have purchased the upgrades when they became available.   One word of caution:  antenna modelling is addicting...you can spend hours in front of the monitor crunching numbers and building antennas.  Antenna modelling programs are a great way to save time designing antennas but the user must always keep their limitations in mind.  If your design looks too good to be true, it probably is.  We are all looking for that holy grail in antennas, but it is important to keep the laws of physics in mind....especially Maxwell's.    And there is a learning curve also.
          If you are serious about doing modelling, there is a course available that is a MUST DO.  It was put together by an expert in this field, LB Cebik, W4RNL.  I have been working on the course in my spare time for over a year now , it will show you how to do it right and avoid common pitfalls.  There are plenty of hands on exercises as well.
          If you inclined to be an antenna geek like myself, I recommend the Antennex web site.  It's not real expensive to join and there is a wealth of information on antennas of all kinds, with contributors from all over the world who are the leaders in antenna design and theory.  Believe me, you can go as deep as you want into the theory and math.  The Antennex archive library is a gold mine of antenna designs and information.  They have a guest room site where non members can go and have a look around and see what's available.
          The EZ NEC demo by W7EL will allow you to do models of simple design, but there is a limit on the number of segments you can use.  There are other software programs out there, such as Nittany Scientific and if you want to spend some serious dollars , you can go to the NEC 4 level ( way over my needs ).  I have the EZ NEC 3.0 version at present along with NEC WIN plus.  Both are excellent and function well under XP ( don't know about Vista tho).
              Cebik has a great website, just type in his name and you will be there.  Many of his treatises are on the web.
              I've passed along enough to chew on for a while, I hope you jump on the antenna design bandwagon, it's a lot of fun.  Be careful tho, it can really grab ya......

                                                                                              Al...KV8X

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18 9:54 PM
        Al:

        Thanks for the very informative reply. I don't know that I'd be
        considered "serious", but I've built several working antennas which
        have done me well in Field Day, and would like to see if I could
        figure out the theoretical gain of them to see how many dB resulted
        in the improved score that I achieved with them vs an ordinary dipole.

        Please give me a link to the course by W4RNL. That would be a way to
        start learning the modelling techniques.

        73 de n8xx Hg

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Al Pepping" <kv8x@...>