  • Tom VanderMel KB8VEE
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2007

      Dear ARRL member,

      Please don't forget to write your US Representative!

      All amateurs are urgently requested to write to their US
      Representative. Ask them to cosponsor HR 462, the current bill in the
      US House of Representatives that would protect Amateur Radio from
      interference from unlicensed devices -- e.g. various Part 15 devices
      and BPL. Your letter will help move the bill to the floor of the

      Your letter when added to those of many others will be the first
      critical step in getting this bill passed. Your letter counts. As few
      as 10-15 letters in support of a non-controversial bill of this type is
      often enough to get a Representative to co-sponsor it. Obviously, the
      more letters the better.

      To learn the name and address of your US Representative, you can go to
      www.arrl.org and click on "Members Only" at the top of the screen. If
      you have already registered (free) to access Members Only, you will see
      the names and addresses of your US Representative and US Senators on
      the left of the Members Only screen. If Members Only does not fully
      open for you, simply register on the opening screen to use. This will
      give you access to it.

      You may also go to http://www.house.gov/. Type your ZIP+4 in the boxes
      in the upper left corner and the ID of your Representative will come
      up. In most instances, you can click on his/her name to get to his web
      site. At the web site, click on CONTACT and you will get to an area
      where you can send an e-mail.

      After adding the identification information the site requests, you can
      paste a copy of the message you wish to send to him. Have your message
      prepared before getting to the CONTACT site, copy it from the program
      you used to prepare it and paste it in the CONTACt area.

      Please send a copy of the letter to Janet Janet.Worthington@...
      and one to me. Janet is our contact person at the Government Relations
      firm we retain. It is very useful to this firm to have copies of
      letters we send to Congressmen during visits to their DC offices.

      Mail your letter only to your US Representative. Do not mail it to
      either of your US Senators. The bill is only in the US House of
      Representatives and not in the US Senate. We are working to have a
      bill introduced in the Senate, later.

      I have pasted a draft letter for you to use, below. It is a shorter
      version of the letter I distributed earlier and will add a bit more
      variety to the mail our Congressmen receive.

      If you send the letter by US Mail, please copy add the name and address
      of your Representative. Also add your name and address.

      Modify the letter to personalize it if you have time, sign it and send
      it -- soon.

      The draft letter is:

      The Honorable __________
      United States House of Representatives
      ____________ House Office Building
      Washington, DC 20515

      Dear Congressman/woman ___________:

      On behalf of nearly 700,000 federally licensed Amateur Radio operators
      across the nation, I wish to bring to your attention an issue that
      affects emergency communication operations. As a voter in your
      district, I request that you become a cosponsor and support passage
      within the House Energy and Commerce Committee, Telecommunications and
      the Internet Subcommittee, of H.R. 462, the "Emergency Amateur
      Radio Interference Protection Act." This bill urges the Federal
      Communications Commission (FCC) to conduct a very targeted but
      comprehensive evaluation of "broadband over power line" (BPL)
      systems that may interfere with public safety and other licensed radio

      BPL utilizes electric power lines to serve as conductors of
      broadband signals. Unfortunately, because the power lines are not
      shielded, they also act as antennas and radiate signals into the air.
      These radiated signals interfere with radio receivers tuned to the same
      frequency range. BPL has only been deployed to a very limited extent,
      but amateur radio operators and several state public safety commissions
      report they are already experiencing severe interference that the FCC
      has been unable or unwilling to correct.

      Because no infrastructure is needed for it to communicate, the
      amateur radio service is the only 100 percent fail-safe emergency
      communication system in the world. Interference from BPL emissions is
      significantly disrupting this capability. The impact on emergency
      communications extends beyond amateur radio operations. Fourteen
      states utilize a similar frequency range for state police operations,
      and nine of these states use it as their primary radio band. The
      interference concern has also been echoed by the National Association
      of Broadcasters (NAB), the Association of Public-Safety Communications
      Officials-International (APCO), and the National Public Safety
      Telecommunications Council (NPSTC).

      In deploying broadband, it is vital that further understanding
      and causation of interference be studied by the FCC. H.R. 462 will
      accomplish this goal, by allowing the FCC to ascertain what additional
      rules governing BPL systems, if any, should be adopted by the FCC in
      order to reduce the interference potential to a reasonably low level.
      The FCC has authority to study this issue, as it is the primary agency
      responsible for adopting rules in BPL systems. Unfortunately, the 2004
      rules governing BPL are not sufficient to reduce the probability of
      harmful interference to reasonable levels. This non-controversial
      study language was included as part of H.R. 5252, the Communications
      Opportunity, Promotion and Enhancement Act (COPE) of 2006.

      Amateur radio operators, like myself, are not opposed to
      broadband services. On the contrary, we usually tend to be early
      adopters of new technology. However, BPL represents a significant
      potential interference source for radio services using certain
      frequency ranges. Unlike BPL, other methods of providing broadband
      Internet services to consumers, such as cable, DSL, wireless and Fiber
      to the Home, do not pollute the radio spectrum.

      It is imperative that there is a comprehensive evaluation of the
      interference potential of BPL to public safety services and other
      licensed radio services. The potential impact on public safety
      communications must be taken into consideration. Please cosponsor and
      support passage of H.R. 462, or support its inclusion in a
      comprehensive broadband bill. Thank you for your attention to this

      Name, Title, Contact Information

      A question: Can non-ARRL members and non-hams write to their US
      Representatives? Certainly. Just be certain the letter reads

      Thanks for your help. Please feel free to ask any questions.

      LACs and LAAs please help spread this letter and encourage all amateurs
      to send it to their US Representatives. Tnx to everyone who has taken
      this step. Tnx to everyone who has written.

      Jim Weaver, K8JE, Director
      ARRL Great Lakes Division
      5065 Bethany Rd.
      Mason, OH 45040
      E-mail: k8je@...; Tel.: 513-459-0142
      ARRL - The Reason Amateur Radio Is!
      Members - The Reason ARRL Is!

      ARRL Great Lakes Division
      Director: James Weaver, K8JE
      This message is being sent to you via the ARRL Members Only Web site.
      If you do not want to receive further messages, go to the site at:
      Log in with your username and password and change your email options.
      Unchecking the "News and information from your Division Director and
      Section Manager" box will prevent messages such as this one from
      being sent to you.
      - webmaster@...