MAARC Meeting - June 7th - Towers by K8PUJ

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
      Hello Hams:

      On Thursday, June 7th, at the Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council
      Clubhouse, 2888 Scenic Drive, Muskegon, we'll be holding our monthly
      meeting. The subject matter for the program will be presented by
      Larry Kozal, K8PUJ. It is a program which he calls: "Forum on Towers
      - Growing Them and Keeping Them Healthy". Larry is an excellent
      presenter with a great sense of humor. Should be fun, ya'all come
      down near the lake shore and join us. We welcome anyone and everyone,
      stop in. Oh, yes, the time for the meeting is 7:00 p.m.. If you get
      lost, call for help on the 146.94 repeater. And, Larry's program is
      first on our agenda, so if you want to come just for that and then
      split before the general meeting, you are welcome to do that, too.

      73,
      Linda, AB8QH
      Vice-President, MAARC
    • John Bok
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007

        Greetings West Michigan Hams

        It is again time for the West Michigan MS 150 Bike Tour. As in past years the
        Amateur Radio community will assist the Bike Tour with communications during
        the 2 day event. Primary radio comms will be net control, medical vehicles, and
        support (SAG) vehicles. If personal is available we also have some radio operators
        at some of the rest stops on the route. Why? Because Amateur Radio works, and cell
        phones are marginal at best! When all else fails......Amateur Radio works!

        This is a 2 day event, but if you can't work both days that is fine. We appreciate
        what you can offer in time. 1 day is good or part of a day to monitor a rest stop.
        These are long days, but the satisfaction of working a large event with a long
        history of success is also fun. You get to work with many hams from West Michigan,
        and enjoy a "warm fuzzy" feeling of working in a close knit group with a common goal
        of a safe ride for all the participants.

        For those not familiar with the Bike Tour, it starts at Byron Center High School on
        Saturday June 9, 2007, and ends at Hope College in Holland. Sunday June 10, 2007
        starts at Hope College, and ends back at Byron Center High School. Meals are
        provided at the end of each day, and food is available during the day at various
        rest stops.

        Byron Center High School is located on the corner of 84th (Byron Road), and Burlingame.
        For the extremely geographically challanged talk-ins are available on that morning.
        Hey, we are HAMs right? That is what that radio is for. The location for Hope College
        can be had on the Holland 147.060 94.8pl repeater. Just sound lost and forlorn, and
        someone will help you find the place.

        The following is taken from the MS-150 web page, and it applys somewhat to the hams
        that participate in a long 2-day event.

        "While many of us will never kinow what it's like to live with MS, we can do something
        for those who do. Willpower vs. fatigue. Training vs. excuses. You vs. yourself. It
        really doesn't matter where you start, because we all share a common finish. So let's
        ride...and together, we can "START TO FINISH MS".

        If you are interested send an email to n8wvn@... or call me at 616-748-1348.
        If you have a preference of where to work it is first come first choice. Thanks in
        advance for your participation in this very worthwhile event.

        What do I need to help? A mag mount antenna (rubber duck will not work), a radio
        capable of 5 wattss or more (mobile preferred), a 12 volt setup to connect to the
        vehicle power, a Y-adapter for 12volt (if others need power for cell),and patience!

        John Bok N8WVN
        n8wvn@...
        616-748-1348

        Below is a list of needs, and volunteers.

        _________________Day 1_______________________Day 2_____________________________

        Net Control #1   N8KAL Kim Lobert            N8KAL  Kim Lobert
        Net Control #2   K8JIM Jim Tanis             K8JIM  Jim Tanis

        Staff Vehicle    K8WLK Bill King             N8WVN John Bok

        Med vehicle #1   KC8KML  "Fitz" Fitzpatrick  KC8KML "Fitz" Fitzpatrick
        Med vehicle #2   N8CTT   Dennis Harriss      N8CTT  Dennis Harriss
        Med vehicle #3
        Med vehicle #4
        Med vehicle #5

        SAG vehicle #1                                N8FQ Joe Veldhuis
        SAG vehicle #2
        SAG vehicle #3
        SAG vehicle #4
        SAG vehicle #5
        SAG vehicle #6
        SAG vehicle #7
      • John Bok
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007

          Greetings West Michigan Hams

          It is again time for the West Michigan MS 150 Bike Tour. As in past years the
          Amateur Radio community will assist the Bike Tour with communications during
          the 2 day event. Primary radio comms will be net control, medical vehicles, and
          support (SAG) vehicles using the Holland 147.060 94.8pl repeater. If personal is
          available we also have some radio operators at some of the rest stops on the
          route. Why? Because Amateur Radio works, and cell phones are marginal at best!
          When all else fails......Amateur Radio works!

          This is a 2 day event, but if you can't work both days that is fine. We appreciate
          what you can offer in time. 1 day is good or part of a day to monitor a rest stop.
          These are long days, but the satisfaction of working a large event with a long
          history of success is also fun. You get to work with many hams from West Michigan,
          and enjoy a "warm fuzzy" feeling of working in a close knit group with a common goal
          of a safe ride for all the participants.

          For those not familiar with the Bike Tour, it starts at Byron Center High School
          (8500 Burlingame SW - corner of 84ty, and Burlingame east of Byron Center) on
          Saturday June 9, 2007 at 7:00 AM, and ends at Hope College in Holland about 5:00 PM.
          Sunday June 10, 2007 starts at Hope College at 7:00 AM, and ends back at Byron
          Center High School about 5:00 PM. For the geographically challanged talk-ins are
          available.

          Meals are provided at the end of each day, and food is available during the day at
          various rest stops. It would not hurt to bring some water with you as sometimes you
          are on the go for long periods of time.

          If you are interested send an email to n8wvn@... or call me at 616-748-1348.
          If you have a preference of where to work it is first come first choice. Thanks in
          advance for your participation in this very worthwhile event.

          What do I need to help? A mag mount antenna (rubber duck will not work), a radio
          capable of 5 wattss or more (mobile preferred), a 12 volt setup to connect to the
          vehicle power, a Y-adapter for 12volt (if others need power for cell),and patience!

          John Bok N8WVN
          n8wvn@...
          616-748-1348

          Below is a current staff listing

          _________________Day 1_______________________Day 2_____________________________

          Net Control #1   N8KAL Kim Lobert            N8KAL Kim Lobert
          Net Control #2   K8JIM Jim Tanis             K8JIM Jim Tanis

          Staff Vehicle    K8WLK Bill King             N8WVN John Bok

          Med vehicle #1   KC8KML "Fitz" Fitzpatrick   KC8KML "Fitz" Fitzpatrick
          Med vehicle #2
          Med vehicle #3
          Med vehicle #4
          Med vehicle #5

          SAG vehicle #1   KD8DAG Don Stephens         KD8DAG Don Stephens
          SAG vehicle #2   N8CTT  Dennis Harriss       N8CTT  Dennis Harriss
          SAG vehicle #3   N8WVN  John Bok             N8FQ   Joe Veldhuis
          SAG vehicle #4
          SAG vehicle #5
          SAG vehicle #6
          SAG vehicle #7