Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: 12v

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
      While on the subject of 12V charging, here is something I've been
      wanting to do, but my research has so far come up blank. So any ideas
      would be welcome.

      I would like to use a system of 3x 6V golf cart deep cycle batteies in
      series, total 18V, to be regulated down to 13.8V during a power
      failure. I use the normal 13.8V power supply until a power failure
      occurs. I need some way to automatically switch to the 18/13.8 back up.
      Also need a float charger for the 18V and a heavy duty charger for the
      18V to use when running a generator. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

      73 Jack NY8D

      Jack Amelar
      1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
      Lowell, MI 49331-9711
      Home: (616)897-6885
      Office: (616)493-8736
      mailto:jamelar@...
      Pager: (616)339-0802 mailto:6163390802@... or
      http://www.arch.com/cgi-bin/wwwpreproc.cgi?PIN=6163390802
    • kc8pcj@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
        Here is a link to a group of projects which include voltage regualtors and a lot more. I have use one of the circuits already.

        www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/schematics.htm

        From: Jack Amelar <jamelar@...>
        Date: Mon Jan 16 09:48:59 CST 2006
        To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: 12v

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Andrew Young

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
[...]

            I had something like that going once. I used relays. Simple and reliable.
            Switch the unregulated source, whether from the rectifier or 18V string,
            which then feeds the regulator. Power the relay coil from the rectifier.

            Laryn K8TVZ
          • KC8PCJ
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
              Use a relay with a drop out voaltge at around 11.5V. that will switch to the
              set of batteries. I have found that some 24Vdc relay will drop out close to
              that. You could also set up a relay system that would put the batteries in
              parallel and have them attached to a 12V float charger. When AC Power fails,
              The charger could be dropped from the system, the batteries put into seires
              for 19VDC and us a regulator to drop the power back down to 13.8VDC. I will
              look on the web, I know there is a voltage regulator circiut on the web that
              will drop 24VDC to 13.8VDC at 35 AMPS. I fond it.
              www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/1230psu.htm
              Sound like a fun project and a good idea. I will get my pendil out and see
              about putting togeather a circuit drawing. I my self use 3 deep cycle
              batteries in parallel but do not have a switcing circiut. I use them for all
              operations and when the voltage drops to about 11.5V. (when radio has a
              problem) I manualy switch to a power supply and charge the batteries.
              There are many other projects on the web site.

              73s KC8PCJ