Help w/ Your New License Privileges

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
      QST:

      It has been mentioned that lots of folks are upgrading their license
      from Technician to General and even Amateur Extra class. These
      upgrades are due to the recent FCC decision to remove the code test
      impediment. This is a very good thing and the ham community
      congratulates and welcomes these amateurs and their new privileges.

      Probably this weekend even more hams are going to upgrade at the test
      session on Saturday, April 7. This session is held at 9:00 am at the
      Red Cross Building in downtown Muskegon. Remember to bring a copy of
      your current license (if you have one), identification, and fourteen
      dollars in cash. You probably will want to bring along a simple
      calculator, too.

      At any rate it has been suggested that these new General and Amateur
      Extra hams might want to exercise their new privileges. If this is
      the case then following the exam session we should adjourn to the
      MAARC clubhouse and their great radio shack. Should there be this
      type of interest I am sure there will be experienced hams to assist
      the /AG and /AE hams around the HF bands and modes. Please make your
      request known at the test session and I, for one, will welcome the
      opportunity for an Open Shack session following the testing on Saturday.

      Also, some of these newly created and upgraded hams have asked for
      some help from Elmer in getting on the air. The MAARC can offer this
      assistance in the form of a class, an Open Shack type event,
      individual assistance, and informal counseling. We have offered
      Technician, General, and even special Extra study groups and classes
      in the past. This next step seems reasonable and fun for everyone.

      Please contact a member of the Board of Directors of the MAARC and
      mention your interest in these training opportunities. The MAARC is
      here to help its membership enjoy the amateur radio hobby. We can
      make any number of accommodations to accomplish this goal. We insist
      that you enjoy your new privileges and we welcome the chance to show
      you around the bands and modes.

      73

      Bill, AB8SC
      past president of the MAARC, the Muskegon radio club
    • Jim KC8PCJ

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
          Sorry on the 21 not 2 weekend after not the next. Sorry for the error.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2007
            Well lets try this again.

            Michigan QSO party. is on the 21st, at the MAARC club house. 12:00 noon to Midnight. 2 weeks after the testing on the 7th.

            No that I slowed down on the keyboard, the msg might make a little more sense.

            73s Jim

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2007
              All:

              Yes, the Michigan QSO Party is an excellent introduction to hf radio.
              It is sort of a contest and kinda like being dx. It is tons of fun
              as Jim, KC8PCJ will tell you from first hand experience. Last year he
              participated in an effort taking W8ZHO to third place in the multi
              single category. Don't know what that is? All things are revealed at
              the event.

              This year's running offers operators and loggers the chance to sign up
              for a specific time slot. Not into that kind of structure? Drop in
              and we'll fit you in.

              There will be a pot luck dinner starting at 5:00 pm. There will be
              twelve hours of nonstop fun, too.

              As was mentioned earlier, starts noon ends midnight (local times, or
              EDT) April 21 at the MAARC clubhouse at 2888 Scenic Drive between
              Muskegon and White Lakes.

              Another really fun way to enjoy radio, ham friends, and food.

              We'll leave the light on for you!

              73

              Bill, AB8SC
              past pres of MAARC, the Muskegon radio club
            • kc8pcj@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7, 2007
                Bill I am thinking about bringing my Ft847 and laptop to do a little satelite education. Not sure about antennas but will do what I can. I do have a power point presentation if we can get the projector to work or have another one available.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2007
                  Jim:

                  I encourage your power point and hardware for demonstrating satellite
                  communications. I think that's fabulous. I'll be the one glued to
                  the screen watching everything.

                  Try to bring an antenna since the ones at the club might not yet be
                  replaced.

                  Bill, AB8SC