RE: [WestMichiganHams] E-Mail filtering

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 16, 2006
      Keep in mind folk if you go overboard on this you will miss ligitimite
      e-mails.
      I sent an e-mail to a repeater trustee with the repeater frequency and
      city in the subject line. When I never got a reply, I called the guy.
      He said it was probibly rejected as spam!!!
      READ THE SUBJECT LINE PEOPLE!

      Jack NY8D

      ----- Message from wb9jsr@... ---------
      Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:24:37 -0500
      From: "John Wehmer (WB9JSR)" <wb9jsr@...>
      Subject: RE: [WestMichiganHams] E-Mail filtering with extra software
      To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com

      > Tom, I was using a program called Spamfighter ( http://www.spamfighter.com/).
    • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 16, 2006

        Both of the anti-spam methods I mentioned do not automatically delete anything.  You always need to check the spam folders for good email, some always squeaks thru the filters.  Since I have SBC DSL, most of my email comes in from Yahoo Mail.  Yahoo has pretty good filtering, BUT good emails still get caught by the filters once in a while.  I always browse the spam folder, especially the sender’s name before emptying the spam folder.

        73

        John WB9JSR

            Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:24:37 -0500
            From: "John Wehmer (WB9JSR)" <wb9jsr@...>
              To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com

        > Tom, I was using a program called Spamfighter (
        href="http://www.spamfighter.com/).">http://www.spamfighter.com/).

      • Bill Fries
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2006

          All:

          You may know that the Logbook of The World was down for the past weekend.  They started to add Worked All States support to the page.  They say that this award can be applied for with LoTW contacts after they do a few more things before late February.

          Bill, AB8SC

        • Joe Veldhuis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 17, 2006
            Interesting. I'd like to use it, but I sent in the signup request on
            December 24 and I'm still waiting for the postcard...

            -Joe, KD8ATU

            Bill Fries wrote:
            > All:
            >
            > You may know that the Logbook of The World was down for the past weekend.
            > They started to add Worked All States support to the page. They say that
            > this award can be applied for with LoTW contacts after they do a few more
            > things before late February.
            >
            > Bill, AB8SC

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 18, 2006
              Joe:

              Yes, getting "certified" by LoTW is sometimes painful. You should be
              very careful in how you apply and make sure you follow the steps
              faithfully. After this amount of time (from 12/24) I would suggest a
              quick e-mail to LoTW for clarification. They get busy and maybe things
              got misplaced.

              The good news is that my previous certificate was good for a year (very
              short!). The recent renewal was for some three years (much more
              reasonable).

              QSLs on LoTW are depressingly sparse. 1200 QSOs and only 220 QSLs. It
              took thousands of QSOs for a huge contest station to earn DXCC using
              only LoTW. So it's no panacea.

              Bill, AB8SC
            • Bill Fries
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 19, 2006

                All:

                Interesting reading on the topic of emergency communications in the areas affected by Katrina this past summer.  Check this out:

                http://www.conformity.com/0601/0601hams.html

                Bill, AB8SC