Re: 12v

  • Laryn Lohman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
      Any of the methods mentioned here will work, with proper application.
      The so-called trickle chargers may or may not properly trickle charge
      a battery for long periods of time. A battery requires the proper
      VOLTAGE, not a specific current, to be properly maintained. For gel
      bateries, it is typically 13.5-13.8 volts. For wet batteries, just a
      little lower, 13.4-13.6 volts. These trickle chargers are often no
      more than a transformer and a diode, and will work, but probably will
      kill your battery if left on for more than a few days because the
      voltage is too high.

      I've had good luck with floating batteries across a regulated supply.
      Some of the repeater stuff in service here is powered this way.
      1. the supply must be regulated, with the voltage adjusted to the
      above values
      2. a diode, capable of carrying the full output of the supply, is put
      in series with the + output, which then feeds the battery and whatever
      you are powering, to prevent a fault within the supply from shorting
      the battery out, with resulting smoke emissions and maybe a fire
      3. and I like a fuse on the battery + lead, rated somewhat above the
      supply output rating

      A downside of this setup is that the supply will be very busy feeding
      a hungry battery after a power outage. If current regulated, the
      output voltage will fall to whatever is needed to regulate the current
      according to Ohm's law. Your connected equipment will have to deal
      with somewhat or much lower voltage during that time, until the
      battery charges to some level.

      There are numerous ways to maintain batteries. This is one. I've
      floated deep-cycle marine-type batteries for 8-10 years this way. No
      matter which method, just watch the voltage across the battery during
      those long periods of <trickle> charge.

      Laryn K8TVZ

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "KC8PCJ" <kc8pcj@v...> wrote:

      > Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a
      float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

      probably get away with adjusting it to about 13 volts. I am using
      13.8 volts in my shack and it doesn't overheat my gel cell batteries
      that I keep connected in parallel with it.

      > If your charger puts out 14 volts, a diode will drop the voltage
      by about 0.7 volts, but I recommend putting a resistor in line to keep
      from burning out the diode if the battery needs a lot of charge.

      > Of course, a trickle charger specifically designed for the purpose
      is better.

    • Jack Amelar
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
        While on the subject of 12V charging, here is something I've been
        wanting to do, but my research has so far come up blank. So any ideas
        would be welcome.

        I would like to use a system of 3x 6V golf cart deep cycle batteies in
        series, total 18V, to be regulated down to 13.8V during a power
        failure. I use the normal 13.8V power supply until a power failure
        occurs. I need some way to automatically switch to the 18/13.8 back up.
        Also need a float charger for the 18V and a heavy duty charger for the
        18V to use when running a generator. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

        73 Jack NY8D

        Jack Amelar
        1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
        Lowell, MI 49331-9711
        Home: (616)897-6885
        Office: (616)493-8736
        mailto:jamelar@...
        Pager: (616)339-0802 mailto:6163390802@... or
        http://www.arch.com/cgi-bin/wwwpreproc.cgi?PIN=6163390802
      • kc8pcj@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
          Here is a link to a group of projects which include voltage regualtors and a lot more. I have use one of the circuits already.

          www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/schematics.htm

          From: Jack Amelar <jamelar@...>
          Date: Mon Jan 16 09:48:59 CST 2006
          To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: 12v

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Andrew Young

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
[...]

              I had something like that going once. I used relays. Simple and reliable.
              Switch the unregulated source, whether from the rectifier or 18V string,
              which then feeds the regulator. Power the relay coil from the rectifier.

              Laryn K8TVZ
            • KC8PCJ
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
                Use a relay with a drop out voaltge at around 11.5V. that will switch to the
                set of batteries. I have found that some 24Vdc relay will drop out close to
                that. You could also set up a relay system that would put the batteries in
                parallel and have them attached to a 12V float charger. When AC Power fails,
                The charger could be dropped from the system, the batteries put into seires
                for 19VDC and us a regulator to drop the power back down to 13.8VDC. I will
                look on the web, I know there is a voltage regulator circiut on the web that
                will drop 24VDC to 13.8VDC at 35 AMPS. I fond it.
                www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/1230psu.htm
                Sound like a fun project and a good idea. I will get my pendil out and see
                about putting togeather a circuit drawing. I my self use 3 deep cycle
                batteries in parallel but do not have a switcing circiut. I use them for all
                operations and when the voltage drops to about 11.5V. (when radio has a
                problem) I manualy switch to a power supply and charge the batteries.
                There are many other projects on the web site.

                73s KC8PCJ