FCC Cites Amateur

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
      The FCC not only cited an amateur for not IDing, they did so without senting an advisory notice first.  This is a change in ways for the FCC and may indicate they are getting more aggressive.

      Be safe, ID every 9 minutes!

      Read the details here:  http://www.arrl.org/?artid=7087

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
        There was a group back in the 70's, primarily in Kentucky, Ohio, West
        Virginia, and Indiana, which called themselves the "Ohio Valley
        Teenage Net." It met regularly on 75 meters to discuss whatever was
        on their minds. This was more of a ragchew session than a net, but
        they meticulously kept track of time, and every 9.5 minutes
        the "timekeeper" would come on an say "ID TIME". Every station
        identified simultanously on frequency.

        There was some question as to legality of this, but they were never
        cited by the FCC. Apparantly the FCC read the regs as these rather
        innovative youngsters did - the ID is required, but how far it can be
        heard isn't specified.

        I got cited once by an OO because I was mobile, and found K8XX on a
        repeater here in Michigan. I was so thrilled at talking with another
        ham with the same suffix that I yakked for over 10 minutes. I
        thanked the OO and never was cited again.

        As Mark sez, it's wise to have a timer to remind you to ID when
        required.

        Unless KB3GRK is egregious in his lack of timely ID, a simple letter
        advising that he's purchased a timer, and apologizing for the
        transgression should satisfy the Friendly Candy Company.

        Hg

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, <k8mhz@...> wrote:

        > The FCC not only cited an amateur for not IDing, they did so
        > without sending an advisory notice first. This is a change
        > in ways for the FCC and may indicate they are getting more
        > aggressive.
        >
        > Be safe, ID every 9 minutes!
        >
        > Read the details here: http://www.arrl.org/?artid=7087
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Mark K8MHZ
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
          Identifying?

          You and I know the rules of identifying. I find it somehow
          uncomfortable that some folks will over identify at intervals of
          closer to four minutes while insinuating that there are some
          uncomfortable consequences related to ignoring the identifying rules
          by the FCC. I seriously doubt that a ham who forgets to identify
          after ten minutes of conversation is doing a grave disservice to the
          amateur radio hobby. Making a Big Deal out of identifying seems to
          interrupt the smooth flow of a QSO, especially as we converse on the
          two meter repeater.

          On the two meter repeater we have a built in timer. The repeater will
          identify itself at intervals of ten minutes. This is a very good
          reminder to insert a call sign after the repeater sends the reminder.
          What purpose is served by sending a call sign at earlier intervals?

          This particular ham in the news droned on for over an hour without
          identification. An amazing feat but not particularly hard to imagine.
          You have to imagine that he somehow identified at least to the point
          that the FCC could send him a "pink slip" and invitation to explain.
          I'm having a hard time imagining the FCC guy hanging around long
          enough to keep an eye on his watch, recognize the identifying problem,
          and eventually divining the ham's call sign. It takes two to tango
          and two or more to converse on seventy centimeters? I imagine the
          conversation must have, at some point, thumbed its nose at the FCC and
          their perceived inability or unwillingness to enforce certain rules.

          I hope this does not begin a new round of concern and gnashing of
          teeth over the FCC and their "rules" of conduct. We each enjoy a
          wonderful resource and hobby. Cooperation and compassion go a long
          way to keep peace and harmony among hams.

          My two cents not offered in any capacity other than as a simple ham.

          Bill, AB8SC
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
            Just to nit pick a little....

            [nitpick]

            An easy habit to get into and a hard one to break is to add an unecessary suffix to the end of our call signs.  This may lead to a station unfamiliar with our calls, especially if we say them really fast, to call us in a way we may not understand.  For instance if you had just identified your station and another station called back "Station ending in 4ID do you copy?" would you know they were trying to contact you?

            The addition of the 4ID suffix is scorned by many.  It is also used by many.  I think the reason is that just saying our call signs seems a bit awkward and adding a few words somehow makes the practice flow better during the conversation.  The practice, however, adds a character string after our call signs which should be the last part of the sentence.

            Might I suggest using something like "this is K8MHZ" instead.  Please feel free to use your own call sign unless you are signing me up for an expensive door prize at a hamfest.

            4ID?  Of course it's for I. D.  What other use is there for a call sign?

            [/nitpick]

            73,

            Mark K8MHZ 4ID

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2007
              OR if you want to sound like Yoda, try "N8ARY, this is."