Cool New Year!!

  • w8amz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      First thing I would to wish everybody a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

      For me as some of you know that I have a collection of unbuilt
      Heathkits. Well I made this decision in the last few days to build
      the biggest of my kits. I spent yesterday preparing the bench area
      to build A SB-221 with 10m kit; this is 2kw pep SSB & 1kw CW 80-10m
      amp. It was Heathkits big boy of amps. The kind of neat thing is of
      watching on Ebay during the last year that there has been quite a few
      of them being sold in the unbuilt condition for around $2000 and
      there is one for sale on there now. Now yes that seems expensive
      considering new they sold for about a quarter of that. But if you
      compare it to similar amps being sold new today it's a lot less.
      Take the Ameritron AL-82 of, which is almost the exact same amp
      except it comes with Chinese tubes (yuck) and also costs almost
      $2700. It seems to me that the better choice overall was the one
      that I made to purchase the Heathkit. For not only was cheaper by
      seven hundred bucks but I can enjoy building it, then for years to
      come I can see that monster sitting in the shack and say I built it
      myself. Well once again everybody have a happy New Year.

      73' de Tom W8AMZ