Re: [WestMichiganHams] E-Mail filtering without extra software

  • Andrew Young
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 15, 2006
      This is what I did.  It's for Outlook Express:

      1.  Go to tools, choose Message Rules, and choose Mail.
      2.  Create a new rule by clicking NEW...
      3.  Choose "for All Messages." in the top window.
      4.  Choose "Move to the specified folder." in the second window.
      5.  Click on the word Specified in the third window.
      6.  Create a new folder and name it SPAM
      7.  Choose the new folder.
      8.  Click on OK.

      The next thing to do is create rules that allow your desired incoming messages to stay in your inbox without being moved to the SPAM folder.  This one gets most of them all at once:

      1.  Go to tools, choose Message Rules, and choose Mail.
      2.  Create a new rule by clicking NEW...
      3.  Choose "Where the From Line contains People." in the top window.
      4.  Choose "Stop Processing More Rules."
      5.  Click on the word "People" in the third window.
      6.  Add your entire address book to the list.  You can do it all at once by clicking on the Address Book button.  Click on the first entry, hold the shift key and scroll down to the last entry.  Continue to hold the shift button and click on the last entry. They should all be highlighted.  Click the Add button.
      7.  Click on OK.

      IMPORTANT:  Notice on the Mail Rules screen there are some Move Up and Move Down buttons.  Make sure the first rule you created that moves everything to your SPAM folder is the last rule in the list.  Use the buttons to move it there.

      As you add people to your address book, you can edit the list in the applicable rule or add more rules.  If you experiment with other types of rules, keep in mind exactly what you are telling the system to do and in what order.

      The nice thing with this way is you don't lose any e-mails if they are rejected.  They just go to another folder where you'll find them eventually.

      I would like to know how to filter out the Rolex, mortgages, and drug junk mail. I just went through 111 messages for 2 days. Tom
    • Tom VanderMel

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 16, 2006
            Keep in mind folk if you go overboard on this you will miss ligitimite
            e-mails.
            I sent an e-mail to a repeater trustee with the repeater frequency and
            city in the subject line. When I never got a reply, I called the guy.
            He said it was probibly rejected as spam!!!
            READ THE SUBJECT LINE PEOPLE!

            Jack NY8D

            ----- Message from wb9jsr@... ---------
            Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:24:37 -0500
            From: "John Wehmer (WB9JSR)" <wb9jsr@...>
            Subject: RE: [WestMichiganHams] E-Mail filtering with extra software
            To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com

            > Tom, I was using a program called Spamfighter ( http://www.spamfighter.com/).
          • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 16, 2006

              Both of the anti-spam methods I mentioned do not automatically delete anything.  You always need to check the spam folders for good email, some always squeaks thru the filters.  Since I have SBC DSL, most of my email comes in from Yahoo Mail.  Yahoo has pretty good filtering, BUT good emails still get caught by the filters once in a while.  I always browse the spam folder, especially the sender’s name before emptying the spam folder.

              73

              John WB9JSR

                  Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:24:37 -0500
                  From: "John Wehmer (WB9JSR)" <wb9jsr@...>
                    To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com

              > Tom, I was using a program called Spamfighter (
              href="http://www.spamfighter.com/).">http://www.spamfighter.com/).

            • Bill Fries
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2006

                All:

                You may know that the Logbook of The World was down for the past weekend.  They started to add Worked All States support to the page.  They say that this award can be applied for with LoTW contacts after they do a few more things before late February.

                Bill, AB8SC

              • Joe Veldhuis
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 17, 2006
                  Interesting. I'd like to use it, but I sent in the signup request on
                  December 24 and I'm still waiting for the postcard...

                  -Joe, KD8ATU

                  Bill Fries wrote:
                  > All:
                  >
                  > You may know that the Logbook of The World was down for the past weekend.
                  > They started to add Worked All States support to the page. They say that
                  > this award can be applied for with LoTW contacts after they do a few more
                  > things before late February.
                  >
                  > Bill, AB8SC

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 18, 2006
                    Joe:

                    Yes, getting "certified" by LoTW is sometimes painful. You should be
                    very careful in how you apply and make sure you follow the steps
                    faithfully. After this amount of time (from 12/24) I would suggest a
                    quick e-mail to LoTW for clarification. They get busy and maybe things
                    got misplaced.

                    The good news is that my previous certificate was good for a year (very
                    short!). The recent renewal was for some three years (much more
                    reasonable).

                    QSLs on LoTW are depressingly sparse. 1200 QSOs and only 220 QSLs. It
                    took thousands of QSOs for a huge contest station to earn DXCC using
                    only LoTW. So it's no panacea.

                    Bill, AB8SC
                  • Bill Fries
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 19, 2006

                      All:

                      Interesting reading on the topic of emergency communications in the areas affected by Katrina this past summer.  Check this out:

                      http://www.conformity.com/0601/0601hams.html

                      Bill, AB8SC