Re: [WestMichiganHams] Winter Field Day @ MAARC?

  • Tom Nickisch
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
      Chris,
      Actualy it's notto cold if you keep in mind that most people would be inside campers and vans.  Mark had mentioned his mini van with the rear seatss removed and placeing a bord accros the arm rests make an excelent work station along with use of a lawn chair.  I had thought about draging my camper out to the clubhouse and operating out of it.  I have heat, a stove and fridg. along with a place to sleep.

      Tom w8amz

      Chris Schulte <ab8wo2006@...> wrote:
      Mark:
      In response to your question about why not use the place for summer field day for winter field dayu, myu reasoning is because it's way too cold to camp out.  *smile*
      73, ab8wo

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
        If I'd have a vote, I'd vote for 2 alternatives, which one actually
        implemented being dependent upon the weather.

        1. RV's or camping trailers in a campground. Use if the temperature
        and preciptation is favorable for erecting antennae. This would
        be "MO" classification, and would get 2000 bonus points if run off AC
        mains, or 3000 bonus points if run off a generator. Putting up
        antennae is the major difficulty during a big sn*wstorm, icestorm, or
        freeaing rain.

        2. Backup would be to activate the club station if weather is
        inclement. This would be IO classification. Wouldn't get bonus
        points, but would be a good exercise of operators and equipment.

        I operated in a dining canopy in 40°F Temperature, 20 mph winds,
        during the Illinois QSO party, and don't really want to subject
        myself to conditions like that again!

        Hg

        -- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Tom Nickisch <w8amz@...>
        wrote:

        > Chris,
        > Actualy it's notto cold if you keep in mind that most people
        would be inside campers and vans. Mark had mentioned his mini van
        with the rear seatss removed and placeing a bord accros the arm rests
        make an excelent work station along with use of a lawn chair. I had
        thought about draging my camper out to the clubhouse and operating
        out of it. I have heat, a stove and fridg. along with a place to
        sleep.

        > Tom w8amz
      • Jim KC8PCJ
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
          How about doing the camper idea at the club house. We can operate on battery or generator power and have facilities to boot. All depends on the amount of snow. Worst comes to worst we go indoors and give up a few points. It still would be fun.
          Would have to check height clearance going into the club house.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
            Is there any place in the middle or eastern part of the county that could be used?

          • Bill Fries
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
              I'd bet the clubhouse would work.

              Height clearance into the parcel? We host the Teenage Net picnic and
              they like to bring their campers and trailers. I doubt the road would
              be impassable.

              I encourage the idea.

              Fruitland Township Park is likely closed off for the season. They do
              not encourage camping, even in the summer, but make a special
              arrangement for the club. Does not mean they will not allow us to use
              their park. Just doubt it.

              We should talk at the club meeting Thursday evening. Or at the Soup
              Supper Saturday afternoon, 5:00 pm.

              Bill
            • Al Pepping
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2006
                I was by the Fruitland Twp facility a couple weeks ago, during the day and it was locked up.  Doubt they are open during the winter for vehicular traffic.   KV8X

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 6, 2006
                  "Any other part of Muskegon County for the event?"

                  We have tried to find other places for the traditional Field Day in
                  the summer. The Muskegon city parks are not inviting because they
                  dissuade overnight camping. The county parks are great but charge a
                  daily fee or an overnight fee. Not so great when we have upwards of
                  fifty folks attending and participating. I've kicked around the
                  county fair grounds but never chased that one down. Maybe a township
                  would have a facility you could borrow for the day? Some of them do
                  invite parties or receptions?

                  The county parks generally close in January. Same with the Muskegon
                  State Park. Maybe you could find some USFS property where you could
                  hang out for a day. However, camping in winter is not so fun and
                  sitting on that cold toilet seat in an unheated outhouse, if, indeed,
                  you find an outhouse, has to be less than encouraging. Might make the
                  clubhouse a bit more inviting. Besides, the radio club is generally
                  encouraging and inviting folks to play radio at their clubhouse. It
                  is not that hard a sell.

                  We can bring up the subject at the club meeting Thursday or to the
                  radio club's board on the eighteenth. Or other dates.

                  Bill, AB8SC
                • kc8zas
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 6, 2006
                    Bill,

                    My thought is use the clubhouse with RV's, Vans and such. We can use
                    a generator for power. Club antennas can be used outdoors with ease.
                    The club house would make a great common place for restroom place to
                    eat and fellowship with good fireplace burning a few logs. I could
                    have two shacks running in my camper. k8mhz could run one in his
                    minivan and k8pcj has a fifth wheel that could acomedate atleast one
                    shack. Saturday morning could be great for breakfest and NS8Z estate
                    sale/auction to kick things off.

                    Tom w8amz

                    --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bill_fries@...>
                    wrote:

                    > "Any other part of Muskegon County for the event?"
                    >
                    > We have tried to find other places for the traditional Field Day in
                    > the summer. The Muskegon city parks are not inviting because they
                    > dissuade overnight camping. The county parks are great but charge a
                    > daily fee or an overnight fee. Not so great when we have upwards of
                    > fifty folks attending and participating. I've kicked around the
                    > county fair grounds but never chased that one down. Maybe a
                    township
                    > would have a facility you could borrow for the day? Some of them do
                    > invite parties or receptions?
                    >
                    > The county parks generally close in January. Same with the Muskegon
                    > State Park. Maybe you could find some USFS property where you could
                    > hang out for a day. However, camping in winter is not so fun and
                    > sitting on that cold toilet seat in an unheated outhouse, if,
                    indeed,
                    > you find an outhouse, has to be less than encouraging. Might make
                    the
                    > clubhouse a bit more inviting. Besides, the radio club is generally
                    > encouraging and inviting folks to play radio at their clubhouse. It
                    > is not that hard a sell.
                    >
                    > We can bring up the subject at the club meeting Thursday or to the
                    > radio club's board on the eighteenth. Or other dates.
                    >
                    > Bill, AB8SC

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                      All:

                      Winter Field Day is coming! We will celebrate this special contest
                      opportunity in an unusual way with our Muskegon radio club January 13.

                      A fun filled day begins with a FREE breakfast at the clubhouse at 8:30
                      am. Then we move into a mini swap. Bring your gear and we'll also
                      try to sell some items from the NS8Z estate. Some of the items will
                      be sold with price tags while other items will be silent auction.

                      Following this mini swap we will enjoy the new Winter Field Day.
                      Starts at noon and runs for twenty-four. Hang around after the sale
                      and help us contest.

                      Looking forward seeing you all there. Remember, I'll buy you a cup of
                      coffee.

                      73

                      Bill, AB8SC