Re: [WestMichiganHams] 12v

  • Andrew Young
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006

      I just uploaded a regulated power supply diagram I drew.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
        Any of the methods mentioned here will work, with proper application.
        The so-called trickle chargers may or may not properly trickle charge
        a battery for long periods of time. A battery requires the proper
        VOLTAGE, not a specific current, to be properly maintained. For gel
        bateries, it is typically 13.5-13.8 volts. For wet batteries, just a
        little lower, 13.4-13.6 volts. These trickle chargers are often no
        more than a transformer and a diode, and will work, but probably will
        kill your battery if left on for more than a few days because the
        voltage is too high.

        I've had good luck with floating batteries across a regulated supply.
        Some of the repeater stuff in service here is powered this way.
        1. the supply must be regulated, with the voltage adjusted to the
        above values
        2. a diode, capable of carrying the full output of the supply, is put
        in series with the + output, which then feeds the battery and whatever
        you are powering, to prevent a fault within the supply from shorting
        the battery out, with resulting smoke emissions and maybe a fire
        3. and I like a fuse on the battery + lead, rated somewhat above the
        supply output rating

        A downside of this setup is that the supply will be very busy feeding
        a hungry battery after a power outage. If current regulated, the
        output voltage will fall to whatever is needed to regulate the current
        according to Ohm's law. Your connected equipment will have to deal
        with somewhat or much lower voltage during that time, until the
        battery charges to some level.

        There are numerous ways to maintain batteries. This is one. I've
        floated deep-cycle marine-type batteries for 8-10 years this way. No
        matter which method, just watch the voltage across the battery during
        those long periods of <trickle> charge.

        Laryn K8TVZ

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "KC8PCJ" <kc8pcj@v...> wrote:

        > Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a
        float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

        probably get away with adjusting it to about 13 volts. I am using
        13.8 volts in my shack and it doesn't overheat my gel cell batteries
        that I keep connected in parallel with it.

        > If your charger puts out 14 volts, a diode will drop the voltage
        by about 0.7 volts, but I recommend putting a resistor in line to keep
        from burning out the diode if the battery needs a lot of charge.

        > Of course, a trickle charger specifically designed for the purpose
        is better.

      • Jack Amelar
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
          While on the subject of 12V charging, here is something I've been
          wanting to do, but my research has so far come up blank. So any ideas
          would be welcome.

          I would like to use a system of 3x 6V golf cart deep cycle batteies in
          series, total 18V, to be regulated down to 13.8V during a power
          failure. I use the normal 13.8V power supply until a power failure
          occurs. I need some way to automatically switch to the 18/13.8 back up.
          Also need a float charger for the 18V and a heavy duty charger for the
          18V to use when running a generator. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

          73 Jack NY8D

          Jack Amelar
          1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
          Lowell, MI 49331-9711
          Home: (616)897-6885
          Office: (616)493-8736
          mailto:jamelar@...
          Pager: (616)339-0802 mailto:6163390802@... or
          http://www.arch.com/cgi-bin/wwwpreproc.cgi?PIN=6163390802
        • kc8pcj@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
            Here is a link to a group of projects which include voltage regualtors and a lot more. I have use one of the circuits already.

            www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/schematics.htm

            From: Jack Amelar <jamelar@...>
            Date: Mon Jan 16 09:48:59 CST 2006
            To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: 12v

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Andrew Young

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
[...]

                I had something like that going once. I used relays. Simple and reliable.
                Switch the unregulated source, whether from the rectifier or 18V string,
                which then feeds the regulator. Power the relay coil from the rectifier.

                Laryn K8TVZ
              • KC8PCJ
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
                  Use a relay with a drop out voaltge at around 11.5V. that will switch to the
                  set of batteries. I have found that some 24Vdc relay will drop out close to
                  that. You could also set up a relay system that would put the batteries in
                  parallel and have them attached to a 12V float charger. When AC Power fails,
                  The charger could be dropped from the system, the batteries put into seires
                  for 19VDC and us a regulator to drop the power back down to 13.8VDC. I will
                  look on the web, I know there is a voltage regulator circiut on the web that
                  will drop 24VDC to 13.8VDC at 35 AMPS. I fond it.
                  www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/1230psu.htm
                  Sound like a fun project and a good idea. I will get my pendil out and see
                  about putting togeather a circuit drawing. I my self use 3 deep cycle
                  batteries in parallel but do not have a switcing circiut. I use them for all
                  operations and when the voltage drops to about 11.5V. (when radio has a
                  problem) I manualy switch to a power supply and charge the batteries.
                  There are many other projects on the web site.

                  73s KC8PCJ