Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: 12v

  • KC8PCJ
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
      Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006

        I just uploaded a regulated power supply diagram I drew.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
          Any of the methods mentioned here will work, with proper application.
          The so-called trickle chargers may or may not properly trickle charge
          a battery for long periods of time. A battery requires the proper
          VOLTAGE, not a specific current, to be properly maintained. For gel
          bateries, it is typically 13.5-13.8 volts. For wet batteries, just a
          little lower, 13.4-13.6 volts. These trickle chargers are often no
          more than a transformer and a diode, and will work, but probably will
          kill your battery if left on for more than a few days because the
          voltage is too high.

          I've had good luck with floating batteries across a regulated supply.
          Some of the repeater stuff in service here is powered this way.
          1. the supply must be regulated, with the voltage adjusted to the
          above values
          2. a diode, capable of carrying the full output of the supply, is put
          in series with the + output, which then feeds the battery and whatever
          you are powering, to prevent a fault within the supply from shorting
          the battery out, with resulting smoke emissions and maybe a fire
          3. and I like a fuse on the battery + lead, rated somewhat above the
          supply output rating

          A downside of this setup is that the supply will be very busy feeding
          a hungry battery after a power outage. If current regulated, the
          output voltage will fall to whatever is needed to regulate the current
          according to Ohm's law. Your connected equipment will have to deal
          with somewhat or much lower voltage during that time, until the
          battery charges to some level.

          There are numerous ways to maintain batteries. This is one. I've
          floated deep-cycle marine-type batteries for 8-10 years this way. No
          matter which method, just watch the voltage across the battery during
          those long periods of <trickle> charge.

          Laryn K8TVZ

          --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "KC8PCJ" <kc8pcj@v...> wrote:

          > Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a
          float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

        • Jack Amelar
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
            While on the subject of 12V charging, here is something I've been
            wanting to do, but my research has so far come up blank. So any ideas
            would be welcome.

            I would like to use a system of 3x 6V golf cart deep cycle batteies in
            series, total 18V, to be regulated down to 13.8V during a power
            failure. I use the normal 13.8V power supply until a power failure
            occurs. I need some way to automatically switch to the 18/13.8 back up.
            Also need a float charger for the 18V and a heavy duty charger for the
            18V to use when running a generator. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

            73 Jack NY8D

            Jack Amelar
            1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
            Lowell, MI 49331-9711
            Home: (616)897-6885
            Office: (616)493-8736
            mailto:jamelar@...
            Pager: (616)339-0802 mailto:6163390802@... or
            http://www.arch.com/cgi-bin/wwwpreproc.cgi?PIN=6163390802
          • kc8pcj@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
              Here is a link to a group of projects which include voltage regualtors and a lot more. I have use one of the circuits already.

              www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/schematics.htm

              From: Jack Amelar <jamelar@...>
              Date: Mon Jan 16 09:48:59 CST 2006
              To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Andrew Young

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
[...]

                  I had something like that going once. I used relays. Simple and reliable.
                  Switch the unregulated source, whether from the rectifier or 18V string,
                  which then feeds the regulator. Power the relay coil from the rectifier.

                  Laryn K8TVZ
                • KC8PCJ
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
                    Use a relay with a drop out voaltge at around 11.5V. that will switch to the
                    set of batteries. I have found that some 24Vdc relay will drop out close to
                    that. You could also set up a relay system that would put the batteries in
                    parallel and have them attached to a 12V float charger. When AC Power fails,
                    The charger could be dropped from the system, the batteries put into seires
                    for 19VDC and us a regulator to drop the power back down to 13.8VDC. I will
                    look on the web, I know there is a voltage regulator circiut on the web that
                    will drop 24VDC to 13.8VDC at 35 AMPS. I fond it.
                    www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/1230psu.htm
                    Sound like a fun project and a good idea. I will get my pendil out and see
                    about putting togeather a circuit drawing. I my self use 3 deep cycle
                    batteries in parallel but do not have a switcing circiut. I use them for all
                    operations and when the voltage drops to about 11.5V. (when radio has a
                    problem) I manualy switch to a power supply and charge the batteries.
                    There are many other projects on the web site.

                    73s KC8PCJ