Winter Field Day

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2006

      The first Winter Field Day will be held from 12:00 noon on Saturday January 13, 2007 to 12:00 noon on Sunday January 14, 2007 local time. The object of the event is to set up emergency-style communications and make as many contacts as possible during the 24 hour period. The rules encourage as many contacts on as many bands and modes as possible, because during a real emergency, the most important factor is the ability to communicate, regardless of band, mode or distance.

    • Joe Veldhuis
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 10, 2006
        Shows how attentive I am, just noticed this. Sounds like a lot of fun!

        I just might go to the Meijer parking lot in Grand Haven and operate
        from the back seat of my car, using my laptop, the 857, a 102 inch whip
        and a tuner. Or, if anyone else is interested, maybe we could set up
        something a little bit bigger.

        Anyone else in GH (or maybe Holland) want to do it?

        -Joe, KD8ATU

        k8mhz@... wrote:
        > The first Winter Field Day will be held from 12:00 noon on Saturday January 13, 2007 to 12:00 noon on Sunday January 14, 2007 local time. The object of the event is to set up emergency-style communications and make as many contacts as possible during the 24 hour period. The rules encourage as many contacts on as many bands and modes as possible, because during a real emergency, the most important factor is the ability to communicate, regardless of band, mode or distance.
        >

        > http://www.spar-hams.org/contests/winterfd/index.php
      • kc8pcj
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
          The ARES/RACES of Muskegon County is going to set up and operate on the ice of Muskegon Lake, at the boat lunch between the Paper Mill and Balcoms Condos. Most other site have been ruled out due to a 453 foot barge and tug that are going from the Muskegon channel to the mart dock Friday evening.

          We are going to start setting up at 11:00 AM and should be up and operating by noon. We will be operating  on the ice until just before dark. From there we will shut down and move to an indoor location and continue until late evening. Call sign will be K8WNJ.

          Anyone that would like to come operate or just visit the shanty shack is more than welcome. We will monitor the 146.820 ARES/RACES repeater.

          For those of you at the Muskegon club house or the warmth of your own QTH we sure would like to get your call in the log book. Even if it is on 2M.

          W8ZHO will also be operating form the MAARC club house also in Muskegon.

          73s
          Jim
          KC8PCJ
          In God I Trust.
        • mapscenes@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
            Date????

            Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2011
              1700z (noon Eastern) Jan 29 until 1700z (noon Eastern) Jan 30

              That's noon Saturday through noon Sunday, tomorrow, this weekend.

              de NA8M

              --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "mapscenes@..."<mapscenes@...> wrote:

              > Date????
              >
              > Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

            • wingerham
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 28, 2011
                What frequencies do you plan on using. Are you going to be on 10 meters? This might get some of the techs to give HF a try.

                Ross
                N8GMY

                --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "NA8M" <bill_fries@...> wrote:

                > 1700z (noon Eastern) Jan 29 until 1700z (noon Eastern) Jan 30
                >
                > That's noon Saturday through noon Sunday, tomorrow, this weekend.
                >
                > de NA8M
                >
                > --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "mapscenes@"<mapscenes@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Date????
                > >
                > > Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

              • kc8pcj
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2011
                  If we get 10 up we will stay down in the tech part of the band. 28.3 to 28.5

                  --- In mailto:WestMichiganHams%40yahoogroups.com, "mapscenes@"<mapscenes@> wrote:

                  > > Date????
                  > >
                  > > Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

                  href="mailto:westmichiganhams%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:westmichiganhams%40yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 17, 2012
                    12 days to winter field day. Muskegon County Emergency Communications Services (K8WNJ)  & Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council (W8ZHO) will be operating winter field day from the Muskegom Conservation Club in North Muskegon. We will be operating on 2Meter thru 40 meters Phone and 20 & 40 M CW.

                    2M will include simplex and the Muskegon 146.820 repeater.

                    Will post Frequencies in following posts.

                    73s
                    Jim
                    KC8PCJ
                    In God I Trust.
                  • n8xxham
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 18, 2012
                      Is SPAR still viable? Is it actually "running" the 2012 winter field day? The rules for winter field day refer to 2011, NOT 2012. No results for 2011 are posted.

                      Just curious. Sounds like fun. However, I'll be operating the CQ 160 Meter contest - see http://www.cq160.com/rules.htm for details of this event.

                      Oh, and another "outdoor Field day" is coming up on February 4 is F)reeze Y)our B)... O)ff, an event which promotes low power operating outdoors. See http://www.azscqrpions.com/fybo2009rules.html Note back in 2007 (I believe it was 2007, three of us went to Hell (yes, Hell, Michigan, an unincorporated crossroads near Pinckney,) and operated Feld Hell (a version of Hellschriber) plus CW during the 2007 event.

                      Note: I've though of going to Paradise, Michigan, for FYBO some year, but that's waaayyy up in the Upper Peninsula, near Whitefish Point, about 300 miles from where I live, so I haven't managed the trip yet.

                      GL to all in Winter Field Day 2012! If you happen to lengthen your wavelength down to 160 metres, give us a shout.

                      73 de n8xx Hg

                      Sign in a local restaurant: "In God we Trust, all others pay cash."

                      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "kc8pcj" <kc8pcj@...> wrote:

                      > 12 days to winter field day. Muskegon County Emergency Communications Services (K8WNJ) & Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council (W8ZHO) will be operating winter field day from the Muskegom Conservation Club in North Muskegon. We will be operating on 2Meter thru 40 meters Phone and 20 & 40 M CW.
                      >
                      > 2M will include simplex and the Muskegon 146.820 repeater.
                      >
                      > Will post Frequencies in following posts.
                      >
                      > 73s
                      > Jim
                      > KC8PCJ
                    • Al Pepping
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 18, 2012
                        Don't know where you looking, the announcement for SPAR 2012 Winter Field day is right on their home page, complete with dates, times and rules....

                        Is SPAR still viable? Is it actually "running" the 2012 winter field day? The rules for winter field day refer to 2011, NOT 2012. No results for 2011 are posted.

                        Just curious. Sounds like fun. However, I'll be operating the CQ 160 Meter contest - see http://www.cq160.com/rules.htm for details of this event.

                        Oh, and another "outdoor Field day" is coming up on February 4 is F)reeze Y)our B)... O)ff, an event which promotes low power operating outdoors. See http://www.azscqrpions.com/fybo2009rules.html Note back in 2007 (I believe it was 2007, three of us went to Hell (yes, Hell, Michigan, an unincorporated crossroads near Pinckney,) and operated Feld Hell (a version of Hellschriber) plus CW during the 2007 event.

                        Note: I've though of going to Paradise, Michigan, for FYBO some year, but that's waaayyy up in the Upper Peninsula, near Whitefish Point, about 300 miles from where I live, so I haven't managed the trip yet.

                        GL to all in Winter Field Day 2012! If you happen to lengthen your wavelength down to 160 metres, give us a shout.

                        73 de n8xx Hg

                        Sign in a local restaurant: "In God we Trust, all others pay cash."

                        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "kc8pcj" <kc8pcj@...> wrote:

                        > 12 days to winter field day. Muskegon County Emergency Communications Services (K8WNJ) & Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council (W8ZHO) will be operating winter field day from the Muskegom Conservation Club in North Muskegon. We will be operating on 2Meter thru 40 meters Phone and 20 & 40 M CW.
                        >
                        > 2M will include simplex and the Muskegon 146.820 repeater.
                        >
                        > Will post Frequencies in following posts.
                        >
                        > 73s
                        > Jim
                        > KC8PCJ

                      • n8xxham
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 18, 2012
                          Yep, but publicity on the various contest reflectors, etc., has been
                          zero, until I put it on a few.

                          With zero results posted from 2011, it's a sure way to discourage
                          future participation.

                          I'm glad to see it on the ARRL contest calendar.

                          72/73 de n8xx Hg